Feeler: Pre-Modified Steering Joints for E36 Rack Swap

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sam Lin
    replied
    I'd be in for 2 if that's with the aluminum discs.

    Sam

    Leave a comment:


  • Van Westervelt
    replied
    I opt for rubber :)

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Originally posted by e30 Groupie
    I would buy one from ya. How about this week? :)
    I have to tackle my wife's transmission this week because her throw out bearing is starting to howl and grind.

    I will try to get started on them as soon as possible. Maybe this weekend depending on how the transmission stuff goes.

    I will need additional time to source the aluminum flex disc replacements.
    Last edited by RobertK; 03-05-2007, 06:58 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mot
    replied
    for that price I'd be intrested in one aswell.

    Leave a comment:


  • der affe
    replied
    do it i'd be down also
    greg

    Leave a comment:


  • Van Westervelt
    replied
    I would buy one from ya. How about this week? :)

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    If you decide to go with an aluminum disk to replace the flex disk then yes you risk the column no longer being collapsable. Of course even the stock flex disk only allows it to collapse so much.

    The aluminum replacement will probably appeal to those who track their car. For daily drivers I would suggest sticking to the stock rubber disk.

    Leave a comment:


  • browntown
    replied
    When you did your writetup originally, didn't it mention something about the column not being collapsable in a crash anymore? Did you find a work around?

    Leave a comment:


  • Feeler: Pre-Modified Steering Joints for E36 Rack Swap

    I'm about to document another steering rack swap on my brother's 89 325i. This time I am going to attempt to make a step by step video to post in the DIY section to better explain the process.

    I have pulled an extra steering joint from a parts car at the local bone yard and I am considering pulling more to modify and sell specifically for this swap. Here is what my modified steering joint will include.

    E30 Steering Joint Shortened by 0.60 - 0.75 inches, the rubber flex disk will be replaced (either stock rubber or aluminum - your choice), and the upper u-joint will be modified to allow the joint to turn at a sharp angle with no rubbing issues.

    Basically you will get a direct drop in steering joint for your E36 steering rack swap. Compatible with the Z3 1.9l, 95 M3, and all other E36 steering racks to be installed in your E30.

    I am also considering replacing the steering flex disk and replacing it with a custom aluminum disk to improve steering response for an extra cost.

    A core charge would be required to keep them in stock. What would be a decent price to charge for them?

    Zionsville Autosport sells them for $195.00



    With enough interest I would be willing to sell them for much less. ($75-$100) + $50 core charge which I will refund once I recieve your old steering joint.
    Last edited by RobertK; 03-05-2007, 08:32 AM.
Working...