Feeler: Pre-Modified Steering Joints for E36 Rack Swap

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • e30 gangsta
    replied
    any updates?

    Leave a comment:


  • 1991 318is
    replied
    Air bag cars.

    I have an air bag car and the original u-joint goes right on the pinion spline with no additions or alterations. It does move the shaft to the right and down a bit where it comes through the firewall.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E30 PS Column.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	7102413
    #6 needs to be cut out a bit for the rubber seal(#4) to fit. It's easiest to remove #6 before the rack is installed. Loosen the big nut and slide the shaft(#1) out, then unbolt #6. The bottom of the oval opening needs to be cut out so the opening is rotated about 30 degrees to the center of the car. It's a lot easier than it sounds once you get in there.
    The angle of the pinion housings on E36 and M3 racks move the lower joint toward the center of the car compared to the E30.

    Leave a comment:


  • jajou318
    replied
    Originally posted by RobertK
    I recently found that E30s with air bags not require the firewall plate to be modified for an E36 rack to fit according to a member I've been chatting with on Bf.c. If that's true then there would be no need to fab a plate at all.
    Yea, that's what a friend of mine has been telling me. Hopefully it's true.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Got a aluminum disc prototype fabbed up to show to a few local machine shops. Should have a base price on them soon.

    Here's a picture:

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Here is what I can do right now:

    Modified steering joint without replacing the rubber flex disc = $75.00 + Core.

    Modified steering joint with a new rubber flex disc = $100 + Core.


    **Almost done with our first metal / aluminum disc mock up so I should have a price for those within the next week.

    Leave a comment:


  • golde30
    replied
    bump, i am interested in modified joint as well, i have a 95 m3 rack coming in, keep us updated!

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Originally posted by bwh13
    I'm down for one. I have the donor joint ready to ship to you...
    Cool.. I just finished up my brother's joint last night and I have 2 new rubber flex discs coming Friday. Looks like I'm going to need to order a bunch more.

    I'm getting much closer to having some aluminum discs made. I'll keep updating the thread once I get some in.

    Leave a comment:


  • bwh13
    replied
    I'm down for one. I have the donor joint ready to ship to you...

    Leave a comment:


  • tonytony
    replied
    i'm interested in buying this plate when i get around to do the swap, i have an airbag car also

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    You can find all list of all the parts you need in the E36 steering rack conversion thread in the DIY/FAQ forums.

    I recently found that E30s with air bags not require the firewall plate to be modified for an E36 rack to fit according to a member I've been chatting with on Bf.c. If that's true then there would be no need to fab a plate at all. Though I would still be more than willing to give you hand.

    My brother bought a 95 M3 rack and this weekend we will be installing it so we may update the conversion thread or create video better explaining the process.

    Leave a comment:


  • Intense
    replied
    Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
    Sure thing. As long as you can gather the parts together.

    To save money on the HP hose we can reuse your old one or you can get a good used one from Joe @ Autobahn Sport (PM Funkmasta).

    I will mod your steering knuckle for the cost of the rubber disc ($18-$19). If I can get some more cores I can have it ready before you get here. Early May would be perfect because it would be right before I start my Summer semester.
    Sweet, I missed the 318 in Cali, but I'm working on another one on the West Coast. Still the same timeframe, though.

    What other parts would I need to gather besides the PS hose?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jean
    replied
    Cool. I picked up a rack from a 92 325i and plan on doing this in the near future.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Should be getting started on getting one completed by the end of this week. I'll keep everyone posted.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    No chance getting a steering knuckle out by the end of the weekend. I'm still finishing up a ZF tranny swap on my E36 and won't be done until tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep everyone posted.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Originally posted by NC325iC
    this is kinda OT
    but how does the rubber disc help in collapsablility?
    to me i would think the collapsing would happen at the two pin things on either side of the bushing, itd be alot clearer if i had a pic hold on a sec...

    shbango (circled in blue) i would think thats where all the collapsing happens

    thanks for the pic ritalinkid
    If you take one out and push on it you will see that it is created to purposely flex toward those pegs. Those pegs are kind of riveted on one side with a plastic circlip on the other. When it pushes forward into the rivet ends it's supposed to pop them forward collapsing the knuckle with enough force.

    This is why a modified knucle will give in a wreck but not collapse. An aluminum one will not collapse at. IMHO if you hit the steering wheel hard enough to push those rivets through their plastic.. you either hit something head on at 50+ MPH or you were not wearing your seatbelt.

    Leave a comment:

Working...