Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M54 with g260 swap 85 e30

looking for advice....

I have an m54 engine from 2001 e46 325ci and a g260 5 speed from an 88 325i e30. I want to swap into my 1985 318i. I'm stuck on what flywheel and clutch kit I should use... I would prefer to have a "plug and play" set up rather then machining the flywheel (which I have read might be the case?)

From the e46 m54 I have the starter, all accessories, wiring, ecu etc. no flywheel.

thanks in advance... I tried searching the forums and I must be over looking or its not posted?? If its been covered please send link or helpful advice!

I'm doing the same thing I to my E30, ur transmission came with a single mass flywheel correct? I am using a 90 g260 and a cut down m20 single mass fly wheel and a stock clutch. I haven't run it yet.
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

I believe so... The trans and engine have never been installed in my cart. I was hoping to not have to cut down/machine the flywheel. curious if I get a single mass flywheel for the m54 (have the starter) then g260 clutch kit? no machine or cut down?

Comment

I got my machined down it took 2 days and 100$ plus they re surfaced it and re balanced. Its a pretty good method.
        91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

The weak part (for me...) of the G260 with the M54 is that there's enough torque to slip the stock clutch. I had to upgrade to a stage 1 clutch that was grippier.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
            The weak part (for me...) of the G260 with the M54 is that there's enough torque to slip the stock clutch. I had to upgrade to a stage 1 clutch that was grippier.
            Was your m54 modified? I have a sachs clutch oem M20, I may have to get stage 1 if so..
            91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

At that point only headers and tune. It didn't slip until the tune was updated.

Comment

Working...
              X