thermostat and fan swtich question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thermostat and fan swtich question

S52 Swap: I'm wrapping up my swap and my local e30 car group recommended i use an 80*c thermostat with a 80-82* fan switch. Main issue is everything is back ordered, when i was gathering parts for the swap i bought an 88* thermostat so i was wondering if it really makes a huge difference if i use the 88* with a 90-91* fan switch. (i might have a <1000 mile 80* thermostat in my m20 but if theres no issue with the 88* unit im just going to use it)

I just went through this thinking lower is better . But I opted for the regular one rather than the low temp . I read that the lower temp makes the engine run lean . I have no actual source but that’s what I did

Comment

I was thinking it was quite odd to see that most of the oem options were 88 degree thermostats, im gonna try it out if I find the car getting too hot I’ll swap it out. Realistically living in Canada the temps really never get that hot

Comment

The 88° thermostat is there to keep the engine running hot for emissions purposes. You can imagine that BMW did a sufficient amount of testing to conclude that temp is a safe medium, being low enough for a margin of error, and high enough for specific conditions of combustion.
        We like to use a lower temp thermostat because we're more likely to run our engine harder than the factory intended. We happily sacrifice emissions for the increased safety margin from overheating.

The fan switch is a different topic, depending on your setup. I assume you will be installing an electric fan, probably in front of the radiator as most people do. In that case, you want a lower temp switch, because you have to realize that the fan won't turn on until there's hot water in the radiator, which will take some time, depending on your thermostat. With a factory thermo, the engine temp will continue to increase even after the thermo opens, because there may not be enough airflow to cool what's in the radiator. So the radiator will keep getting hotter until it's hot enough to trip the switch. This is normal and happens on most every car. But they typically use a lower temp switch and computer control for exact results. You just want to turn on the radiator fan at a reasonable temp. 80° will do. Just be sure to wire it correctly, knowing which pin it is.

Long story short, you should be fine with an 88° thermostat but I would swap the switch for a lower temp because I'm paranoid. This configuration means your fan will be on most of the time and your engine will run at peak efficiency.
        Last edited by Chilezen; 05-30-2022, 09:35 PM.

Currently building a badass coffee table
        Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
          The 88° thermostat is there to keep the engine running hot for emissions purposes. You can imagine that BMW did a sufficient amount of testing to conclude that temp is a safe medium, being low enough for a margin of error, and high enough for specific conditions of combustion.
          We like to use a lower temp thermostat because we're more likely to run our engine harder than the factory intended. We happily sacrifice emissions for the increased safety margin from overheating.

The fan switch is a different topic, depending on your setup. I assume you will be installing an electric fan, probably in front of the radiator as most people do. In that case, you want a lower temp switch, because you have to realize that the fan won't turn on until there's hot water in the radiator, which will take some time, depending on your thermostat. With a factory thermo, the engine temp will continue to increase even after the thermo opens, because there may not be enough airflow to cool what's in the radiator. So the radiator will keep getting hotter until it's hot enough to trip the switch. This is normal and happens on most every car. But they typically use a lower temp switch and computer control for exact results. You just want to turn on the radiator fan at a reasonable temp. 80° will do. Just be sure to wire it correctly, knowing which pin it is.

Long story short, you should be fine with an 88° thermostat but I would swap the switch for a lower temp because I'm paranoid. This configuration means your fan will be on most of the time and your engine will run at peak efficiency.
          I've read a lot of posts like what you're saying, and that the ECU adjusts for the engine running at cooler temps and adjusts fuelling. my question is where can i find a 80C thermostat and where can i find a temp switch that works with it. everything i found is back ordered and i preferably want to get the car moving by the end of June. and yes currently trying to wire in an E-fan.

Comment

Originally posted by EbzyyE30 View Post
            where can i find a 80C thermostat and where can i find a temp switch that works with it.

Currently building a badass coffee table
            Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Working...
            X