M50 swap procedure - essential checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kerrath View Post
    I've never heard of this before. I assume it's used to ground out the ECU like people say needs to be done. Would you mind telling me more?
    Correct, it gives the ECU a solid ground. It's basically a set of plates that pinch it in place.

Here's mine:

WTB: early e30 sedan front doors

Comment

One question I'm forced to ask is, when cutting auto tranny wires, DO I HAVE TO DEAL WITH ANYTHING?! I keep hearing about things like neutral safety switch and brown wires that should be grounded out, but nothing definitive. Anyone care to shed some light?

Comment

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post
        One question I'm forced to ask is, when cutting auto tranny wires, DO I HAVE TO DEAL WITH ANYTHING?! I keep hearing about things like neutral safety switch and brown wires that should be grounded out, but nothing definitive. Anyone care to shed some light?
        yes you have to ground the brown wire. there should be 5 wires, connect 4 of them, and ground the brown one.will have a clear plug still connected to all of the wires. it should be in the shifter boot area.

88' m3
        91' 318is

Comment

Originally posted by travis816 View Post
          yes you have to ground the brown wire. there should be 5 wires, connect 4 of them, and ground the brown one.will have a clear plug still connected to all of the wires. it should be in the shifter boot area.
          So the other 4 loose wires coming out of the DME should all be connected together? I understand grounding the brown wire, but why connect the other 4?

Comment

"got off work early and want to do more work" bump!

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post

[x] Valve cover grounded at passenger rear corner, using e30 strap

is this the ground strap for the coil to the valve cover? or is there another ground strap that grounds the valve cover to the chasis or block?

Comment

Working...
                X