basic cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basic cost?

Is the lowest cost for a good s5x swap $5k or do you think it could be done with $4?

are you doing the work yourself?

Comment

yes that was my plan

Comment

Motor - 2k (Try and get as complete as possible)
        Gasket Set - 400
        Oil pan / pickup - 100
        Booster - 120
        Motor mounts - 50
        Random Bullshit - 500
        Other random bullshit - 500.

Yes. But if you need to rebuild anything. Its a little more expensive.
        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
          Gasket Set - 400
          Oil pan / pickup - 100
          Booster - Move the stock booster
          Motor mounts - 50-Cheaper through RM European
          Random Bullshit - 500

Converting to OBD 1 can get a little pricy if you dont take you time waitng for deals.

Comment

Depends if you get a wiring adapter or do it yourself also

Go to local pick and pulls also I got my m50 oil pan, pickup and tube for 16.00

Comment

It depends on how patient you are. If you need the stuff NOW you'll pay for it. If you can wait for deals you'll save a lot of money. I see stuff come up on CL occasionally that are just screaming buys.

I got a complete, running M50 for $350 with everything, but I'd be careful not to put too much emphasis on cheap if it's not in good condition. Nothing will cost you more than a cheap S50!

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
                Gasket Set - 400
                Oil pan / pickup - 100
                Booster - 120
                Motor mounts - 50
                Random Bullshit - 500

You can relocate the stock booster to save a bit (also I got an E32 booster and MC in good condition for $50 in a junkyard, but you'll need to do a remote brake fluid reservoir if you do that).

But basically yeah. It depends on how much stuff you want to replace while it's out. Seals? Gaskets? T-stat and housing? Clutch? Fuel and vacuum hoses? Maybe lighten the flywheel? Definitely do the water pump unless it's been changed in the past like... week. :p I'd do everything else you can while it's out. And remember, it will always go over budget. We're talking a motor swap here, it's tough to think of everything in one sitting.

And if you can sit around and wait, you can definitely find deals and jump on them. But when you've got the motor out of the car and are doing the swap and realize you need x and y parts you may not want to just wait and dawdle around waiting and lowballing any more. ;) If it's your first swap, you'll run into things you didn't expect.

Comment

sounds like fun ha. I asked if i could do for $4k because I am going to sell my other car for that much but I think Ill wait and save up a little more before I start

Comment

Originally posted by spaceshuttle View Post
                    sounds like fun ha. I asked if i could do for $4k because I am going to sell my other car for that much but I think Ill wait and save up a little more before I start
                    yeh you want a good buffer zone for odds and ends.
                    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

your clutch/flywheel and exhuast system plans will really make or break the budget.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Originally posted by justin_l_ View Post
                        Converting to OBD 1 can get a little pricy if you dont take you time waitng for deals.
                        keep it obd2, and run the stock dme the motor comes with and get a $100 ews delete from TRM or any other aftermarket obd2 tuning company. Done. Couple extra bucks for rear o2 sensor, and secondary air pump delete while you're at it.

Originally posted by MattM View Post
                        your clutch/flywheel and exhuast system plans will really make or break the budget.
                        Never thought about this, but it's pretty on point especially when trying to keep a low budget. It's shit like this you don't think of and piles up the number figures.

Comment

Working...
                        X