Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.8L M52 Swap - Complete engine and then what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.8L M52 Swap - Complete engine and then what else?

So I think I have found my motor. 130K M52 which is currently installed in a 318Ti which was obviously a swap.

The motor is 100% complete with all accessories and the engine harness. Flywheel attached

My plan is to OBD1 swap before it goes into the E30. So do I need the OBDII ECU? Key? EWS/Chip from the key or anything else I should try to get since the motor/car is actually complete right now?

Then I need an OBDI Harness and some sensors and the correct ECU and a chip from what I understand. Is that correct? What is the part number for the correct ECU?

Search?

No, jk...

You will need the OBD1 m50 manifold/TB, engine harness, crank/cam sensors, ecu, knock sensors, e34 pan, pickup, and dipstick, etc.

You will not need the ecu, key/ring chip from the OBD2 car.

But, you could just get everything (complete engine + DME) then get a ews delete chip. It could save some fundage.

Comment

Im doing the same swap and have picked up the following

m52
      Obd1 harness and various sensors
      Obd1 intake
      m42 radiator

I know I need to figure out
      Brake booster
      and because Im doing 5 speed swap I need to figure out drive shaft and flywheel status.
      Throttle body

Good luck.
      1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
      1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
      1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

Good. That makes the motor that much cheaper :)

I did search and have most of the information but I wanted to make sure I get everything that I need from this seller since the car is so 'complete' :)

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
          Search?

No, jk...

You will need the OBD1 m50 manifold/TB, engine harness, crank/cam sensors, ecu, knock sensors, e34 pan, pickup, and dipstick, etc.

You will not need the ecu, key/ring chip from the OBD2 car.

But, you could just get everything (complete engine + DME) then get a ews delete chip. It could save some fundage.

Manifold, TB, Harness, pan, pickup, dipstick would probably be fine used. Good idea in my mind to get all the various sensors new I would think.

02 Sensor I use an O2 setup from an OBD1 vehicle correct? For the life of me I cannot remember if it is a single O2 right where the pipes merger before cat or if it has 1 in each manifold...

Comment

single O2, all sensors wiring comes from OBDI
            www.classicdaily.net
            1970 m42 swapped 2002
            1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
            https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
              single O2, all sensors wiring comes from OBDI
              That is what I thought. Damn OBD2 has 4 of the stupid things.

Comment

Yep, therein lies the benefit of obd2 for power from tuning, more adjustment via data available.

Comment

or just have me and justin do the swap for you and you not have any worries about what to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
                    or just have me and justin do the swap for you and you not have any worries about what to get.
                    That cost monies ;) And I do actually like to work on the cars sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                      That cost monies ;) And I do actually like to work on the cars sometimes.

i can atleast do your harness modification if you would like.

crank sensor
                      cam sensor
                      knock sensors
                      engine temp sensor
                      cluster sensor (drill and tap head/drillout TB coolant hose hole and re tap/rethread sensor)
                      maf from obd1 vanos motor.
                      obd1 O2 sensor
                      413 ecy
                      obd1 throttle body
                      obd1 vanos intake manifold
                      welded obd2 manifolds

what trans are you going with? i would suggest the zf for the plug and play factor.

Comment

I don't know what trans. Isn't the only non plug and play about getrag 260 is needed a trans cross brace?

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                          I don't know what trans. Isn't the only non plug and play about getrag 260 is needed a trans cross brace?

also the bent shifter linkage and selector rod.

Comment

My brand new Z4 2.5i rod would have to be bent? FML.

Comment

Why not leave it OBD2? The OBD2 shit is cheap compared to an OBD1 conversion.

I can delete EWS and tune it for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X