oil leak with TMS adapter kit for euro oil filter housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak with TMS adapter kit for euro oil filter housing

So I've got a Euro Oil filter housing on my S52 with threaded ports for the oil cooler lines. I purchased the turner kit for connecting the -10 AN lines to the filter housing.

Fired up the car tonight (for the first time in 6 years) and upon building oil pressure leaked a lot of oil out from this piece. As far as I can tell there really is only one way to install this thing. Talked to a friend who ran into this same problem and he ditched the Turner piece altogether and sourced M16x1.5mm to AN-10 adapters.

Anyone else out there running this setup? Was there a trick? I'm tempted to just buy adapters that thread into the housing, but it seems that this piece was designed to do exactly what I want it to do - I just am not having the results I'd like.

cheers
    jflower
    sigpic
    king of bad decisions.

Teflon tape?

Comment

Teflon tape will eventually deteriorate when used in oil applications.

What you're looking for is actually Teflon paste. The paste never seems to 'harden' and it is easy to make a mess but it will perform the task of sealing small leaks in threads.

Comment

Oh yeah, that's what I was thinking, sometimes there is a short from the brain to the fingers.

Comment

It can happen to the best of us. ;)

Comment

There are two issues there. You need the correct O-rings on the housing side, and you need the correct hose fittings on the flare side.

Teflon tape or sealant will not help on either side.

Comment

And I've failed. I'll have to take back what I said about you Matt. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                There are two issues there. You need the correct O-rings on the housing side, and you need the correct hose fittings on the flare side.

Teflon tape or sealant will not help on either side.
                Yeah, there will be no teflon tape or paste.

I guess I'm unsure what you mean... as far as the hose fitting side, AN -10 is AN -10... how could that be incorrect? the lines seal to the fittings in the turner kit fine. All the oil is leaking out from behind the Turner "plate" fitting.

As for the O-rings - Looking closely at the pictures in their instructions it looks like there are no threads in their housing, yet mine has threads. I'm guessing it's this discrepancy that is giving me the issue. I'm assuming they are shipping the piece with O-rings for a non-threaded housing.

btw the chip seemed to work great for the few moments that the engine was running. Thanks.
                sigpic
                king of bad decisions.

Comment

Happy to help with the chip. :)

It has been a while since I've fooled with a euro housing, but I don't recall them being threaded. I seem to remember the adapters just slipping in with O-rings against the groove on the outside of the housing, under the plate with the bolt through it.

There are different flare angles (37 and 45 I think?) on AN lines that sometimes cause issues, but you're right they are fairly foolproof.

Comment

Ok, then that must be what my issue is.

I wonder what filter housing I have then. It has two M16x1.5mm threaded holes for the oil lines in place of the "press fit" holes I see in other pictures. I still had to tap the port on the rear for the Vanos supply line... I bought this filter housing in Deutschmarks to give an idea of how long it's been sitting in my pile of parts. I wonder if that has anything to do with it - incidentally the friend i was talking about above was using a housing that I bought at the same time... Weird.

simple fix - just buy adapters and throw the turner kit in the FS section.

EDIT:

for future reference for anyone searching this topic, I purchased pn AM16AN10 adapters from BAT in florida. M16x1.5mm to AN-10.

EDIT #2:

Which didn't work because the threads in the oil filter housing are Pipe thread, not radius/straight. So I am still looking for an AN-10 to M16x1.5mmNPT adapter. So far I have found/ordered one that goes to AN-8 and will use an 8-10 adapter to see if I can make that work.
                    Last edited by jflower; 01-16-2010, 08:12 PM. Reason: problem resolution for later searching V2
                    sigpic
                    king of bad decisions.

Comment

Jay any updates on your ride? Is it running or are you too busy these days doing music?
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                      X