cast iron exhaust manifolds???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cast iron exhaust manifolds???

For those who are using cast iron exhaust manifolds, are you spacing the engine up, to allow down pipe clearance? thanks-Pete

Yes, I had to space my engine up to allow for stock E36 OBD-I downpipe clearance. I shimmed up around 1/2". Your experience may vary!

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

thanks....did you run into any issues with engine to hood clearance?

Comment

No, but I have no hood insulation either.

Comment

I did not shim the motor , but it is a 85 318i. Also had shop make mid pipes.

Comment

FWIW I just test fitted OBD2 exhaust manifolds and midpipes. I believe OBD1 and OBD2 manifolds are the same dimensions. I don't know if the downpipes are the same. Anyways, the stock downpipe on the front manifold cleared everything just fine. The rear manifold dowpipe hits the passenger side footwell. No spacers/shims anywhere.

Originally posted by FredK View Post
            Yes, I had to space my engine up to allow for stock E36 OBD-I downpipe clearance. I shimmed up around 1/2". Your experience may vary!
            Why did you need to shim it? What did the midpipes hit?

Comment

Installed, there were no clearance issues with no spacers. However, once the mount settled, there was not enough room for the midpipe to clear the front subframe when it was being pulled off the studs. So, it's not an issue of interference during operation, but rather an issue of ease of removing the midpipe.

Of course, it's not like you have to remove the midpipe that often, but I went through a few different exhaust configurations.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is this with stock control arm lollipops? or treehouse?

Comment

Well, with stock control arm lollipops, I ran into some interference on stock cast manifolds and the stock OBD-I downpipe (basically, from the dual tri flanges to the merge) right at the lollipops. I had to clearance them with a hammer and a torch.

With THR cabs, there is no interference there.

Comment

i made my own solid motor mounts that were a bit tall to begin with so i had no fitment issues...though i do have a vibration in the drive shaft prob due to excessive angle of tranz/motor
                    "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

Working...
                    X