Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 260 trans sensors = 1 M50 harmonic sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 260 trans sensors = 1 M50 harmonic sensor?

I have an 86 260 that I am bolting to my 93 M50. The 260 has 2 plugs coming from it, is this the same as the sensor on the front of the crank/harmonic balancer on my m50? If so how do I convert the wiring?
    Thanks

they do the same thing (crank position), but are different sensors part #s
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

so I can just cut the wires off the 260 ones and leave the m50 hooked up?

Comment

Originally posted by isolatos View Post
        so I can just cut the wires off the 260 ones and leave the m50 hooked up?
        yes, they aren't needed
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by isolatos View Post
          I have an 86 260 that I am bolting to my 93 M50. The 260 has 2 plugs coming from it, is this the same as the sensor on the front of the crank/harmonic balancer on my m50? If so how do I convert the wiring?
          Thanks
          325e's used those sensors. Since the m50 engine management doesn't use those sensors, you don't need them. You can either leave them in and tie the wiring up, or buy the rubber plugs from the dealer for a few bucks.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

What about the 2 wires I have leftover from removing my auto trans plugs. I think I read that they get hooked together somewhere but cant find the post. they are both brown, one with a black stripe and the other with an orange stripe.

I also had a brown with gray stripe on the engine harness side and the c101 side that I am thinkin just get hooked together..

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by auto trans plugs. Do you mean the shifter wiring? Or the flywheel sensors?

There is no "c101 side" of the harness. The c101 is both sides of the connector, engine and chassis side.

Comment

My M50 is from an auto car. I removed all of the wiring and the 2 plugs for the auto trans. I had basically 4 wires left over: brn/blk, brn/org, and 2 brn/gray that I believe just get hooked together.

Sorry I wasnt clear there.

Comment

Ahhh, now I follow. I am not familiar with the m50 automatic wiring, sorry.

Comment

If you just remove the sensors the dust caps from rear brake calipers (and all other bmw calipers with 7mm hex slider) fill the holes tightly

Comment

or you can order more dustcaps from a dealer for like $1 each

i might have some kicking around i can send to you for the cost of shipping...

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

You can *fix* the wiring harness to remove the autoness. You'll need the connector/wiring for the reverse light switch. I have an auto harness on my e36 and I just spent about an hour removing every wire that runs to the AT connectors. Pretty simple.
                        :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
                        '93 325iS
                        '99 528iT

Comment

yea, I did that on sunday. I have a few wires that I still need to trace to pins, but it went smooth..

Comment

Working...
                          X