Another Sputtering no power M50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Sputtering no power M50

I have a 90 euro 325i with a M50 NV with an auto harness and Gregs adapter. I finished the swap on a friday then on tuesday I was on a C17 headed east. My motor runs but sputters and has no power through out the RPM's. I need to know what parts to buy to get rid of this the problem is that I dont have time to trouble shoot when I get back cause I sadfully have to sell the car right away.
    -No 02 is hooked up right now
    -have new coil boots waiting on me
    -coil came off a running M50
    -no vacuum leaks
    -have extra MAF to test when I get back
    -dont know what a CEL is, maybe a US thing
    -The only history I know about the motor is it came out of a wrecked 525i with 180,000km little over 100K miles
    Originally posted by Nicademus
    My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Originally posted by Kingb View Post
    -No 02 is hooked up right now
    -dont know what a CEL is, maybe a US thing

Plug them in and CEL is Check Engine Light. Scan codes and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
      Plug them in and CEL is Check Engine Light. Scan codes and find out.
      The O2 is one of the first things that I am going to do. I ran out of time waiting on my headers so I used a e34 exhaust manifold and made an elbow to clear the subframe then to the stock cat and didn't put in an O2 bung.
      Yes it works

Comment

Hey King, what's up dude?? Call me, I have a peake scanner that should be compatible with the M50. Check PM for #......
        Edit-I spy aluminum radiator.....
        Last edited by MikeDE; 01-30-2010, 12:38 PM.
        -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDE View Post
          Hey King, what's up dude?? Call me, I have a peake scanner that should be compatible with the M50. Check PM for #......
          Edit-I spy aluminum radiator.....
          Yeah it is a Mishimoto that I got in one of the group buys. Its clean. The car is in storage until I get back but at the shop we have a brand new Snap-on scanner that comes in its own roll away. It was about 5 G's. I'll use that when I get there.

Comment

The no o2 is just gonna make the car run excessively rich. Not good for cat converters.

The car will run but it's wasting fuel without the sensor. Sparkplugs were new or used?

The engine was running smooth prior to swap?
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
              The no o2 is just gonna make the car run excessively rich. Not good for cat converters.

The car will run but it's wasting fuel without the sensor. Sparkplugs were new or used?

The engine was running smooth prior to swap?
              It was running rich but not enough in my opinion to make it run like that. Plugs are new and have new boots to install when I get back.
              Don't know how the motor ran. A friend that I bought it from said it ran good and thats they pulled it out of the wrecked car. But it sat for a year on a pallet under a tarp.

Comment

Ok I have a m50nv in a 318 that kicked my ass trying to diagnose my sputtering and backfiring. It ended up being 2 bad coils. It idied fine but I bought a 5 dollar spark plug light and watched each coil as it fired as I r3ved up the engine the spark would go away on two coils. Hope this helps the answer will come:)
                NASA
                BMWCCA member
                PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                1997 M3 sedan
                2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Sitting a year, I'm going to suggest having a bud add some marvel mystery oil or atf into the cylinder bores, pull the fuel pump relay and put plugs back in and crank over a few times. Rings are mostly likely stuck and need to be exercised.

Comment

Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
                    Ok I have a m50nv in a 318 that kicked my ass trying to diagnose my sputtering and backfiring. It ended up being 2 bad coils. It idied fine but I bought a 5 dollar spark plug light and watched each coil as it fired as I r3ved up the engine the spark would go away on two coils. Hope this helps the answer will come:)
                    Ok sounds like a reasonable problem. I'll get some different coils

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                    Sitting a year, I'm going to suggest having a bud add some marvel mystery oil or atf into the cylinder bores, pull the fuel pump relay and put plugs back in and crank over a few times. Rings are mostly likely stuck and need to be exercised.
                    I have heard of doing this before to help clean out the cylinders. I will put this on my list. The bad thing is that the motor sat for a year then I put it in my car and only ran it for about a hour and now it is sitting for another year.
                    Thanx

Comment

I would suggest diagnosing prior to throwing money at it.

Comment

The thing is that I would except that I only have 2 months from until I will have to sell it and would like to catch all avenues before that. I dont mind spending money on smaller stuff like a used set of coils and boots, maybe a new o2 sensor.

Are MX/SX coils all interchangeable?

Comment

Working...
                        X