No announcement yet.

Starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The starter needs to be the same starter as the flywheel.

I doubt you're using an m42 flywheel with your swap?
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

I am using that starter. The m50 is a dual mass same as the m42, so using that flywheel isn't a problem. The problem I will have is my clutch when it decides it doesn't want to hold up to the more torque and power. But I have the m50 starter too. Just gotta put it back together. haha.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=162444

Comment

Have you tried to turn the motor over by hand. May sound dumb, but anything is possible.

Comment

I did try that....and nothing.

Comment

maybe that starter simply doesnt have the power needed... the M42 is a 1.8L 4 cylinder.... M50 is 2.5L 6... its a thought...

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

I went to the effort of changing starters before I figured out my ground at the engine mount wasn't sufficient (even though almost everything was new). I relocated the attach point and that fixed the problem.
              -Brandon
              '86 325es S50
              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
              S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I watched the vid you posted.
                I hope I'm wrong, but I think your clutch disc and the throw out bearing guide tube are jammed together.

About this quote of yours;
                "I did try that....and nothing."
                Did the crank rotate or not? If the engine did not turn over then that would verify that your drivetrain is locked.

m

Comment

Did the crank rotate or not? If the engine did not turn over then that would verify that your drivetrain is locked.
                  no the engine is not cranking in the vid, its possible that the drivetrain is locked, but the one time i acciedently tried to start my car in first, the starter lurched the entire car forward.. and hes not getting that either

i would suggest getting an M20 or M50 starter, i have never heard of being able to use the M42 starter, which would be odd if it could be done,because many people swap M42's out for M50's.....

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

sorry but it wasnt clear to me if ur engine rotated by hand or not ?????

if it doesn't rotate by hand and is locked, make sure that BOTH pulleys are installed on the crank. I made the mistake of leaving the outer ac belt pulley on the crank off, and the bolts were locking the motor because they reached the timing cover.....

another thing, ur starter has 2 13 mm nuts, make sure that the one that doesnt have any wires on it is tight. its very easy to overlook it because none if the wire harness connectors go on it, but there is a braided wire that is behind that nut that goes into the actual starter.

Comment

I have the starter to the m50, I think I can change out the gear so that it reaches the flywheel. I was able to crank it by hand with no troubles. I will check the braided wire on the starter.
                      Last edited by ahriley91; 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

That is a relief.
                        I would imagine then, that the gear on the M42 starter is jammed in the flywheel ring gear teeth.
                        Make sure that the teeth on the flywheel ring gear are not chewed up, before you install the M50 starter.

m

Comment

Yeah. The m42 starter doesn't have the power to crank over the m50. So I'm either going with the m50 starter, or swapping to a m20 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and euro 323i throwout bearing.

Comment

Working...
                          X