Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have pictures of their notched front subframe for ebay header install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have pictures of their notched front subframe for ebay header install?

I am doing an M50 swap in the next week or two, and while the motor is out I'd like to notch/box and repaint the front subframe. I've searched but can't find exactly where and how much people had to notch their subframe to use the ebay special headers. Yeah I could look at the motor and headers and eyeball it but I'd rather know for sure, and trying to only have to drop the motor in once if possible.

Other option I guess is to mount motor to subframe outside of the car, then cut the subframe til I can get the headers to mount, but angle of motor to subframe won't be perfect and final mount setup is kind of an unknown.

Obviously I can do that if need be but if somebody has a picture I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    -Sam

erik325i has an excellent picture from his euro motor/header install.

edit: here is the link, 2nd page in- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...t=header+notch
    Originally posted by BillBrasky
    E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
    1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
    1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
    1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
    2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

I have a whole bunch of pictures I'll upload when I get home.

Picture of stock vs modified (heated and hit with hammer).

Contrast sucks but measured shots of stock vs modified. Maybe someone with good skills with Photoshop could fix them.

Last edited by surebimmer; 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Awesome, very much appreciated. I'll try to cut and patch mine with nice thick plate to look like that, and if I have any issues I can always shim a little or try to tweak the pipes a little.

thanks a lot!

Comment

What about the sway bar?

Comment

huh... never had problems with subframe or swaybar clearance on the swaps I've done with ebay headers.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
              huh... never had problems with subframe or swaybar clearance on the swaps I've done with ebay headers.
              +1
              Mine is very close but not hitting.

Comment

WHat is the possibility of not modding the subframe and just modding the headers? Curious
                e30sport.net
                '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                  WHat is the possibility of not modding the subframe and just modding the headers? Curious
                  why would you hurt flow in the headers rather than whacking the subframe with a BFH a couple times...

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                    What about the sway bar?
                    This is what i did still had to bang the pipe's on my racelands a lil to clear.

Still have 3 set of spacers left if anyone wants a set.

Comment

Working...
                    X