Oh noes another m50 overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh noes another m50 overheating

Well I have a vanos m50 and I'm using the m20 radiator. About 2 weeks ago my radiator decided to a meeting with the mechanical fan and it stripped off all the blades. There was no damage done to the radiator but the fan was basically a spinning nub. So I decided to go electric. Got a 16in Spal puller fan and installed it. Now on cool days (like the last few we had in Maryland 50's an 60's) the car ran right at the halfway mark as long as I was moving. When I was stopped for any period of time it would slowly start to heat up to the point where it was at the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge. On warmer days like yesterday and today (70's an 80's) it overheats much faster whether im moving or sitting still. It seems kinda backwards that when the engine isn't underload it overheats faster than when the rpm are up.

Has anyone had this issue and if so what is it and how do you fix it.

Powered By Ford

How is the Spal controlled? Did you just use the stock aux fan wiring? If so, it's entirely likely you'll have to use a lower temperature electric thermostat.

There are two effects at play here in terms of engine heat. When it is idling, it isn't producing much heat. When it's running on the highway, it is producing a lot of heat. The ability of the engine to shed heat depends on air passing through the radiator.

So, as you can imagine, even though there isn't much heat being generated at idle, there also isn't much air passing through the radiator. On the highway, plenty of air is passing through the radiator.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

The fan is simply wired to ignition so when the car is on it's running. I thought about a lower t-stat but when it's cold here I didn't want the car to run under operating temp.

Powered By Ford

Comment

How many CFM is that fan?

Comment

Originally posted by fredk View Post
          how many cfm is that fan?
          1300 cfm

Powered By Ford

Comment

I'm guessing you deleted the stock aux pusher fan? If so, 1300 CFM is too small.

Comment

no stock fan is still there and functional. How much air does the mechanical fan move?

Powered By Ford

Comment

Is there any way that the fan is running in reverse right now? I run only a stock aux fan and I'm usually right in the middle, even if it's around 75 - 80 outside.

Are you sure the aux fan works?

Comment

As of a few weeks ago yea it still worked but when I go on lunch from work I will check again as well as take a few photos. As far as the spinning direction of the fan it only goes one direction. There was just a power and a ground to wire it up.