Help...Cranks but no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
    Well you checking for spark will narrow it down for you so do that.
    If you have no spark and no fuel it could be the CPS, or the DME relay or the DME itself.

Is the power wire for the relays connected to the junction block like it should be and do the relays click when you turn the key to the run pos.?

If you have spark but no fuel I would lean towards the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself. Test each one, you can bypass the fuel pump relay to see if the pump will run.

First of all mount the DME properly. I managed to get mine to sit on the original mounts by just using a larger washer, i.e. a fender washer on one of the bolts and clamping it down. Although the DME has a harness ground it seems that sometimes that isn't enough.
    Using the wiring diagrams on wedophones.com and the e36 bentley manual found here:

You should be able to find the problem yourself. Don't expect people on the interwebz to do all the thinking for you they aren't in your garage looking at your car like you are and cannot test things out.

Check some things and do some tests before you run to others for help...

Edit: the fuel pump should run only when the DME senses that the engine is turning over via the CPS.
    Okay I will check for spark...

The power wires for the relays are connected properly and the relays click when the key is turned.

The DME is already mounted properly in the DME bracket, where the old M42 DME use to be.

One more thing... are these two plugs for the auto trans? I thought I removed all the auto stuff from the harness, It's comes from the harness and goes to the driver's side....They're pretty long so I'm assuming they are for the auto trans. Here's a pic....

Comment

The one on the right might be for the reverse light.
      The 4-pin one could be either for the MAF or the O2.
      90 E30 S50B30
      http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

The plug for the o2 sensor is on the passenger's side and the MAF plug I already have it set aside. I don't think the other plug is for the reverse light neither.

both plugs connect to each other...
        wires are:
        red/white
        white/red
        black
        grey/yellow
        brown
        brown/orange
        Last edited by blackhawkimpact; 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
          The plug for the o2 sensor is on the passenger's side and the MAF plug I already have it set aside. I don't think the other plug is for the reverse light neither.

both plugs connect to each other...
          wires are:
          red/white
          white/red
          black
          grey/yellow
          brown
          brown/orange
          It's not the auto trans plug. And you have the wrong plug set aside for your MAF.

Open the damn etm and spend some time reading.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

I do have the etm I don't know how to read it.

Comment

The MAF is in the same cable harness as the check valve for the charcoal can.
              Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
              Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
              Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
                I do have the etm I don't know how to read it.
                Read the DOHC wiki link in this thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=147862

Or better yet read the introduction in the etm for that matter it tells you how to read it.

You want to basically start at the beginning of the MS3.3.1 m50 injection electronics section and locate the sensors on the diagrams.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Working...
                X