Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 guy...

I am leaving known land for unknown...
    I am doing a m50tub swap and would LOVE to know anything I can do internally that will increase HP or improve parts.

I know under pulleys, s50 cams, headers, chip and bits of other known stuff.

But I have the engine out and torn down. So I am replacing everything before I put it in. Timing, water pump, seals and gaskets.

What I need to know is what can I do other then the known?
    I am down for a stroker or turbo(was planning on that) I just don't know brands and what to buy. Someone that has done this please stand up!

I have an e30 DD and a garage so I am in no hurry to get a working car back.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Are you kidding NO ONE!!!!

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

What's the question again?

Comment

You left the question completely open. No budget, no HP goals, we don't know the intended use (daily, road race, 1/4 mile), we don't know the durability expectations, etc...

You asked what can be done for more HP. It would be easier to ask what can't be done. You can take the engine to a reputable shop and get it back as a 800+hp turbo'd bored and stroked monster. It would probably cost $20k. Or you can add a set of s50 cams and software for $500 and get 190whp or so.

We need to know what you want out of the engine.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          You left the question completely open. No budget, no HP goals, we don't know the intended use (daily, road race, 1/4 mile), we don't know the durability expectations, etc...

You asked what can be done for more HP. It would be easier to ask what can't be done. You can take the engine to a reputable shop and get it back as a 800+hp turbo'd bored and stroked monster. It would probably cost $20k. Or you can add a set of s50 cams and software for $500 and get 190whp or so.

We need to know what you want out of the engine.
          350hp, around 1k for parts(I am sure I'll go over)

I can get most of everything 20% off because my Uncle owns a garage and I have one amazing junk yard where people bring in running BMWs and sell them for scrap. I have everything needed to get it done.

I just have never built a stroker or a turbo. My Uncle builds small block strokers so I'll use his friends to bore over the motor and balance it.

I am looking to eat STis plain and simple.

I do SCCA solo and when I have the money a weekend track. It will also be a DD.

Since the m50tub already makes 189hp. So your saying, with the s50 cams and a chip I'll be making 190 more?

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
            350hp, around 1k for parts(I am sure I'll go over)
            I am looking to eat STis plain and simple.
            Let me save you a bunch of time and money. It's not going to happen on that budget. The only way you can get close is with a super budget turbo build. Generally, it boils down to a balance of time/money/expertise. The more you have of one, the less you have to depend upon the others.

Since the m50tub already makes 189hp. So your saying, with the s50 cams and a chip I'll be making 190 more?
            Stock M50TU: 165 hp, measured on a dyno (commonly denoted as rear wheel horsepower (RWHP)).
            M50TU with S50 cams and a chip: 190 RWHP
            -------
            Therefore, the increase is around 25 RWHP by adding cams and a chip.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

But with your mad driving skills, no doubt you can simulate the extra power with the e-brake and a downshift.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Like Fred said, you're fooling yourself. If you cut some corners and find some deals you can swap in a m30 or m50 for a grand which *may* get you ~ 200hp. Then when they make you manager of the taco bell, and you can borrow 5k from your parents :) --- you can turbo said motor, and may get to your 350hp mark.

Comment

and if you do get to 350hp, lets hope you've upgraded the brakes, tires, and suspension to the tune of another 3-5k so you don't throw yourself into a tree.

It makes me sad that my new subaru legacy probably is quicker through the corners than the e30 ever will be. It's a different kind of car though, and not nearly as fun to drive

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
                    and if you do get to 350hp, lets hope you've upgraded the brakes, tires, and suspension to the tune of another 3-5k so you don't throw yourself into a tree.

It makes me sad that my new subaru legacy probably is quicker through the corners than the e30 ever will be. It's a different kind of car though, and not nearly as fun to drive
                    I own a construction Co with my father. I have never had a normal job and don't plan on it. I am getting the UUC brake kit and SS lines come with it. The suspension is almost done. I have 2,500 in the suspension alone. Every bushing is replaced or they are about to be.

I already knew it was going to be over 1k I have around 2k just for the engine.

I think I will just do the s50 cam under pulleys, chip and my VW friends only turbo. I don't really need to know what to buy or do because that is all they do for their R32s and GTIs. So I will just do the turbo route and buy what ever they think it best.

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                      But with your mad driving skills, no doubt you can simulate the extra power with the e-brake and a downshift.
                      Haha, your so fucking dumb. E-brake and downshift make you drift, but I know you already knew that.

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Since my mind is made up on the turbo, is the bottom end built enough for mid range boost? If not what is needed?

I already upgraded to a better head gasket and I will do APR head bolts for the top end. The timing belt and water pump are done and so it the front and rear main seals.

Should I just buy a s50 head and swap the whole thing for the valve upgrade or just buy them and install?

I have lots of experience with working on engines and replacing parts. This is not a hard thing. I just don't know what to get for the M50.

I have shit loads of time/ a good amount of money/ and enough experience to do what is need NA. I have a huge amount of boosted friends that are itching to get me to boost it. All I want to know is S50 cams or the whole head?

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Is this your track car build? Road course, or drag strip?

If it's for road course use, your desired powered levels are somewhere between silly and stupid. Seriously, being the fastest car in your group at a DE isn't even fun.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

The timing belt and water pump are done and so it the front and rear main seals

I have lots of experience with working on engines and replacing parts. This is not a hard thing.

I have shit loads of time/ a good amount of money/ and enough experience to do what is need NA.
                            Hhmmm, somethings not adding up here..

;)

Comment

Make sure you do a valve adjustment and replace the spark plug wires while you're at it.

And call me when you get serious about a turbo setup. Serious enough to realize that $1k won't touch quality parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X