s50 vs e30 325i sachs clutch.. spoiler: s50 wins hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s50 vs e30 325i sachs clutch.. spoiler: s50 wins hard

This happened at the track on Thursday. I was in 5th gear, pushed the clutch in and attempted to downshift into 3rd but I could not get the car in gear, any gear. Turns out the side of the clutch which faces the pressure plate was completely destroyed.

Here's a link to some of the pictures of the carnage: http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...tch_explosion/

Also of interesting note, the pilot bearing was dislodged when I removed the transmission, but appears to still be in fine shape. Everything driveline related was replaced 9 months ago. I don't use the clutch aggressively, and there were not warning signs at all of this failure before it happened..

This was a normal sachs clutch kit for an e30 325i, basic kit nothing fancy.

Wow that's an interesting failure. Just the one side got chewed up eh? Weird.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

An S50 engine is a touch more power than the M20B25 clutch is intended to handle. So it would not be a surprise to see it that prematurely failed. Upgrade to a Stage 2 or Stage 3 clutch.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yea. That sucks that's what I have now
        NASA
        BMWCCA member
        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
        1997 M3 sedan
        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I imagine a stock Sachs M20 setup won't last too long behind a 3litre, but there are other options if you're keeping a Getrag 260. The Sachs '618' triple strap pressure plate with a Sport disk works very well for a big displacement/high torque M50. It's not a cheap setup but it's great on the street and even better on the track when you're turning a lot of RPM.

You can also put a 240mm setup from a ZF310/20 gearbox in the 260 'box. I can't remember if we had to grind the bellhousing or not (if we did it was insignificant) but regardless it fits with very little modification.

My .02.

Comment

I have a track day on Wednesday, I was able to get ahold of an IE 6puck clutch, which IE claims will hold 40% more power. We will see how it does..

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
              You can also put a 240mm setup from a ZF310/20 gearbox in the 260 'box. I can't remember if we had to grind the bellhousing or not (if we did it was insignificant) but regardless it fits with very little modification.

My .02.
              Stu,

I ran the 240mm setup with the 260 box without cutting/grinding anywhere. I remember talking to you about whether or not it would work before I tried it.. Ha. Worked excellent. My setup consisted of a Fidanza 10 lb-ish flywheel and stock Sachs E36 M3 clutch kit.

Comment

i had a similar problem with an acura (albeit 15 years ago.) happended 3 times in a month. same exit ramp, same downshift, same over-rev. in the high revs, when the clutch is pushed in, the material sheers out of the rivits from centripital force. yours does not look like that. it looks like the rivits failed holding the material to the disc. but the material came off perpendicular to the disc.

very suprized to see that. sach clutches are usually very stout. ive never seen a (bmw) clutch do that!

best of luck. jason
                Last edited by Jason89i; 08-16-2010, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                  I imagine a stock Sachs M20 setup won't last too long behind a 3litre, but there are other options if you're keeping a Getrag 260. The Sachs '618' triple strap pressure plate with a Sport disk works very well for a big displacement/high torque M50. It's not a cheap setup but it's great on the street and even better on the track when you're turning a lot of RPM.

My .02.

I second this, sachs 618 + the sport disk is great on the street and nearly indestructable.

6 puck doesn't sound streetable, but maybe you'll like it. :)
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've streeted an ie 6 puck for 4 years, don't be soft :)

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

I've been hearing some poor things about sachs lately. My buddy just put in a brand new sachs clutch in his 16v gti and the disc friction surface exploded after about 30 miles.

I have no complaints about mine yet, however I have the E34 M5 disc and plate behind my S50.

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
                      2008 VW Rabbit
                      1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X