black and sooty plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black and sooty plugs

Finnished my engine swap and have had some engine problems ...Started out with a surging idle ,now the car wants to idle around 1100rpm and no lower.I have checked the hoses and the icv o2 sensor is new .i removed the plugs and they are black and sooty .I am not sure where to check for vacuum leaks or if something else is causing the rich condition .plus the car doesnt seem to have much more power than the old engine which had 500000 miles on it..... also the cars idle does not change when i remove the oil cap .I am getting frustrated with this swap and I am considering selling my car.
    Last edited by R&D man; 08-16-2010, 04:07 AM.

Don't give up! I hate to hear about people wanting to abandon ship on theirs swaps.

Have you tried a different MAF?
    What plugs are you using?
    Stock injectors?
    Chip?
    Checked the fuel pressure at the rail?
    Any CEL's?

Check for vacuum leaks using an unlit propane torch just shooting the gas out, a piece of tubing stuck on the end helps to get into the tight spots. Go around every connection on the intake side.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

sooty

I will change the valve cover gasket first

Comment

vac leaks will make it run lean, not rich.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

lean/rich

if the engine was running lean would the computer not up the fuel flow to compensate?

Comment

Up to a point, yes. That also assumes the O2 feedback loop is working.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Your coolant temp sensor or the associated wiring may be bad. If so, the DME will overfuel.

m

Comment

Working...
              X