Does my chip have an encryption board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does my chip have an encryption board?

I am 99% certain that it doesn't. I've been going back and forth with the maker of the chip that came in my car (Chuck Stickley). I sent him a number of pictures to answer this, but apparently he still can't tell. I'm getting frustrated. Can anyone here confirm that all I have is a chip stuck into the board without any 'encryption board'?

See pics here:

Backround- chip was sent out to previous owner who submitted the information about the mods the car had and got the chip that way. There are definitely some anomalies in the power delivery, and the engine will actually damn near stall if you give it too much gas at low rpms, so it needs to be remapped. I went to a dyno and got the readings necessary to make a custom map for it, but I'm getting frustrated now because Chuck seems apprehensive about whether or not there is an encryption board.
    E30 M52B28

Ummm what's an encryption board?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Hell if I know... I was hoping somebody here would. I don't really know what else I can do to check- I already pulled out the friggen board and took pics.
      E30 M52B28

Comment

yeah, erm, what?

is that a NV ECU?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          yeah, erm, what?

is that a NV ECU?
          Its a 413. No encryption board.

Comment

OK, I was pretty darn sure but I am no expert.

Hey Matt- I am curious, are you the original owner of my car? Did you have a Schwartz 318 that you put an M52B28 and 6-speed?
            E30 M52B28

Comment

both possibilities illustrated

Once you have seen an encryption board, it is pretty obvious. So here is a pic to help you.

Jay from Ground Control
              Attached Files
              Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
              Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
              Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Sooo why would there be an encryption board in the DME?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Wow- thanks for the pics Hellabad. That pretty much seals the deal- there isn't a green circuit board between the chip and the main board on mine.

By the way, fantastic Vanilla Ice pic. Brings me back...
                  E30 M52B28

Comment

People trying to copy them?

Originally posted by Roysneon
                    $5 shipped?
                    Originally posted by MarkD
                    You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Originally posted by rammstein View Post
                      OK, I was pretty darn sure but I am no expert.

Hey Matt- I am curious, are you the original owner of my car? Did you have a Schwartz 318 that you put an M52B28 and 6-speed?
                      Negative ghostrider.

I wouldn't use anyone else's chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
                        Sooo why would there be an encryption board in the DME?
                        That little tiny chip under the encryption board is like a "secret decoder ring" for hexadecimal.

When somebody figures out all of the addresses on the chip, for timing, mixture etc, and makes changes to the code on the chip, the encryption board keeps the guys on BF.c from using a chip reader to steal the code and have another group buy.
                        Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                        Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                        Ground Control facebook page

Comment

+1 for encryption.keep counterfeits off the market.

Comment

Working...
                          X