Calling all muffler gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all muffler gurus

I finally drove my m52 swap the other day but I have a problem. My choice of exhaust was fail. It was so damn loud that after 20 minutes my ears were buzzing. I knew it would be loud,, but I didnt realize it would be that loud (race pipe). the price was too good to pass up, and now im, payin for it

My current setup is

ebay headers-> 3" y pipe-> magnaflow cat->24" magnaflow resonator->16" shell length magnaflow muffler

if a new bmw is 0 and a race car is a 10, i'd rate mine at 9.5. I'm looking to quiet it down to about a 5 (think about as loud as a ferrari?) and to do that I've been looking into the following mufflers

Flowmaster 50 series delta flow (PN 843051)
    Dynomax VT (PN 17157)
    Dynomax super turbo (PN 17793)

I like the super turbo the best right now because of its smooth flow design, but I fear it will not be much quieter than what I have now.

Anyone have experience with these mufflers? Which one would you recommend. If you know of another muffler I could try, my only requirements are its got to be stainless steel, 3" center inlet, 3" outlet (any position) and sound volume of ~5

Thanks!

the super turbo is good, I have the same muffler

there's also borla

the flowmasters are more of a V8 thing. They'll still be somewhat loud, and can be quite droney, although with the cat and resonator it might not be so bad. I'd like to hear one that wasn't a straight through muffler actually.

how large is that resonator? replacing it with a muffler might be a good idea, if changing the muffler alone doesn't help. a 3" center in/out Borla ProXs fits perfectly just in front of the subframe.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Flowmaster 50 series delta flow (PN 843051): 4x9.5x17
      Dynomax VT (PN 17157): 4.5x9.5x16
      Dynomax super turbo (PN 17793): 5.5x11x16

All of these mufflers are similar in size. I can nearly guarantee that the volume will not be radically changed by changing brands of mufflers. That VT does look intriguing, though.

I run a 5x11x22 Magnaflow 3" muffler. It is not loud, but it drones a little (I do not run a resonator). Its about the largest muffler you can run in the space in the E30 rear wheelwell.

I used to run the 2.25" version of that Super Turbo. It was stupid loud.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

the resonator is 24" long, 6" diameter (12649) My muffer is 12589. i looked at borla, but they are all flow through like my magnaflow. Would probably be way to loud unless they have super sound deadening inside of them.

I know all the mufflers are similar in size, but with the exception of the super turbo, they are all multichambered which I hope will knock off a lot of db.

:( about the super turbo, It looked so good cause of the interior design, but its still a smooth flow muffler so I believe you when you say it was stupid loud.

Comment

my car is quiet with both of those mufflers (borla/dynomax)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

but you have a borla in the middle, its probably doing a helluva lot more than my magnaflow lol. I'd like to avoid cutting up the middle of the exhaust right now, the rear muffler is easy to chop off and weld a new one on.

Comment

ebay ss > summit Y pipe > summit cat > borla muffler..not loud..nice idle sound,and little rasp......funny i had this on my m50NV,and it was raspy and buzzy sound,but its a world of a difference on my S50...I am happy with it
              NASA
              BMWCCA member
              PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
              1997 M3 sedan
              2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

dan, no center muffler/res on yours?

so nando and dan, does the borla really slash the sound levels that well, despite the straight through design?

Comment

I don't know, it must be doing something. There wasn't much loudness change from the stock cat/supersprint to the single pipe, straight through exhaust. it's definitely a bit louder, but I'm not drawing unwanted attention from the exhaust by any means.

I'd try the rear muffler first and see if it helps, then change the center. a resonator will not make as much of a volume change as a muffler, though.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Dissembler View Post
                    I finally drove my m52 swap the other day but I have a problem. My choice of exhaust was fail. It was so damn loud that after 20 minutes my ears were buzzing. I knew it would be loud,, but I didnt realize it would be that loud (race pipe). the price was too good to pass up, and now im, payin for it

My current setup is

ebay headers-> 3" y pipe-> magnaflow cat->24" magnaflow resonator->16" shell length magnaflow muffler

if a new bmw is 0 and a race car is a 10, i'd rate mine at 9.5. I'm looking to quiet it down to about a 5 (think about as loud as a ferrari?) and to do that I've been looking into the following mufflers

Flowmaster 50 series delta flow (PN 843051)
                    Dynomax VT (PN 17157)
                    Dynomax super turbo (PN 17793)

I like the super turbo the best right now because of its smooth flow design, but I fear it will not be much quieter than what I have now.

Anyone have experience with these mufflers? Which one would you recommend. If you know of another muffler I could try, my only requirements are its got to be stainless steel, 3" center inlet, 3" outlet (any position) and sound volume of ~5

Thanks!
                    Are you sure your exhaust is not leaking. I have just a megnaflow cat and muffler and mine is quiet at idle and only loud if I get on it, and even then it is not horribly loud. I do only have 2.5" piping and not the 3".

Is this exhaust used?

Comment

Graham, when I had the m42 in i had a stock cat, 20" resonator, and a dynomax superturbo through 2.5" dia piping and it was pretty loud. I'd also like to note that after about a year and a half (more importantly, after one winter) the superturbo started rattling as one of the baffles inside came loose from the welds. The issue was covered by their warranty but that meant cutting the old one off and getting another one welded on. When you don't have welding equipment it's not even worth replacing. The rattling always went away when the muffler warmed up but it was annoying with cold starts all winter long.

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
                        Are you sure your exhaust is not leaking. I have just a megnaflow cat and muffler and mine is quiet at idle and only loud if I get on it, and even then it is not horribly loud. I do only have 2.5" piping and not the 3".

Is this exhaust used?

same here..quiet/throaty at idle,but loud at r3v,but not that loud..i can still hear the intake K&N cone...sometimes i get a chubby :p:p
                        NASA
                        BMWCCA member
                        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                        1997 M3 sedan
                        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I went with 95 E36 cat and a E36 M3 Remus catback. I used the cast S50 manifolds.

This is what my car sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GOKXZO_80

Comment

Working...
                          X