M50 harness doesn't connect to silver DME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 harness doesn't connect to silver DME

I was told that the M50 Auto Vanos harness would work for a 24V swap. But the silver DME I have doesn't connect to the harness for some reason. I looked at the connector head on the harness and it looks like its offset on one side so it doesn't fit onto the DME pin connector.
    1972 2002Tii

you must have tried the wrong connector. all E36s use the same 88 pin ECU plug.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      you must have tried the wrong connector. all E36s use the same 88 pin ECU plug.
      OBD2 and OBD1 are not compatible.

Comment

I have pictures for reference. Picture 1 (o) shows the Old connector that was on my old car that fits.

Picture 2 shows the new harness I got. Look how it is offset on one side. I was told it was from a '93 Vanos Auto.
        Attached Files
        1972 2002Tii

Comment

Those connectors are both halfway disassembled, that may be why they don't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
            Those connectors are both halfway disassembled, that may be why they don't fit.
            Is the new harness supposed to be offset to one side like that? Or is it stuck?
            1972 2002Tii

Comment

It's disassembled. That's not how it fits together. I don't know if it's stuck or not.

Comment

I figured it out. It wasn't aligned properly, I was able to pull it out and seat it correctly lol.

EPIC
                FAIL.

Thanks for the help guys!!
                1972 2002Tii

Comment

OBD2 and OBD1 are not compatible.
                  yes, the pinouts are different, but the plugs are physically the same.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yes, the pinouts are different, but the plugs are physically the same.
                    No, they are keyed differently. Same connector, but they won't fit.

Comment

I looked at both connectors and the pins look like they're the exact place. I noticed with the auto tranny harness that they're additional connectors that don't connect to the motor.

I see 2 round connectors, i'm assuming one is for the tranny and the other is to the E30 harness. Do I need to cap the one going to the tranny?
                      1972 2002Tii

Comment

No, they are keyed differently. Same connector, but they won't fit.
                        Good to know.

as far as the auto wires - get familliar with the ETM, and remove all of the automatic wiring.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

cool. many thanks.
                          1972 2002Tii

Comment

there are 2 large round connectors, one is the x20 which is the main body connector(this needs to be spliced into the e30 harness), and the diagnostic terminal(best to keep this and mount it somewhere, you never know when you may need it).

mine the tranny plug was a little rectangular one.

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

get familliar with the ETM
                              Good Luck with that suggestion! I keep hoping more people will learn how to read a diagram, but it ain't likely.

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X