How fast is it really...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast is it really...

I'm puttin an m50 VANOS into my 87 325is soon. I know they get fast when that motor is in there...but how fast exactly am I looking at. 0-60 times, quarter mile times?

I've heard everything from a 15.2 with a stock m50 to a mid 13 with a slightly modded s50.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

325Projectz got 15 flat with his Vanos M50; however, I was out running him on the highway. I would suspect that non-Vanos are/could be faster because of the hotter cams.

Comment

Originally posted by permit
        325Projectz got 15 flat with his Vanos M50; however, I was out running him on the highway. I would suspect that non-Vanos are/could be faster because of the hotter cams.
        So you have a 92, all stock? What about a chip or anything? Is 325Projectz running a chip, and was his time with decent tires, or was he spinning? I'm aiming for a 14.5 with my swap, whatever it takes to get that is what I'll do. And I don't want stupidily short gears either, I want to be able to pull 140 without a problem.

I'm thinking of going with a nonvanos, m3 cam, chip, and hopefully that gets me the 14.5, or at least high 14's. This way is alot cheaper then going with an s50.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I have a Conforti chip and a Magnaflow exhaust; wouldn't add too much power, and his car was holding the road, it was a fair race (325Projectz also just had his head rebuilt). I was thinking of doing the M3 cam swap into my non-Vanos (91, not 92), but I'm going for an all aluminum 2.8L instead with a few S50 parts thrown on.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood
            Originally posted by permit
            So you have a 92, all stock? What about a chip or anything? Is 325Projectz running a chip, and was his time with decent tires, or was he spinning? I'm aiming for a 14.5 with my swap, whatever it takes to get that is what I'll do. And I don't want stupidily short gears either, I want to be able to pull 140 without a problem.

I'm thinking of going with a nonvanos, m3 cam, chip, and hopefully that gets me the 14.5, or at least high 14's. This way is alot cheaper then going with an s50.
            To tell you guys the truth, if I was to do it again I would go with an s5x. Permit barely had me on the freeway, but he was pullin. No, my car isn't chipped, bone stock.

I ran a flat 15 in the 1/4, buts thats with me driving, who knows about a real good driver. Down the track it was wheel spin city in first and most of second, bog or spin, you pick. If you put slicks on your car or chip it you could dip into the high 14s for sure. If you do other things like m3 cams, AA chip, slicks and other minor things your car would do alright for its self.

Stock m50s are so much better then stock m20s though. Have fun with it either way.
            91 m3

Comment

1st/2nd gear is ridiculous. 3rd gear is ridiculous. 4th gear is wipe the floor territory (difficult to catch an S50/E30 deep in the revs in 4th).....5th gear will take you to 160mph. they're really, really fast. I rarely redline anymore. You really do have to think before opening the throttle in these things..

Comment

Working...
              X