Anybody miss their M20?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Yeah, k&n drop-ins net you exactly zero power.

    Leave a comment:


  • markseven
    replied
    Originally posted by E30auddie
    Not true. If you have driven it enough and know the ins and outs of the car you would be able to notice 12 more. Hell when I first got mine back in '06 drove it for a few months then threw a K&N drop in air filter in I could feel that little extra oomph. I know some will say "placebo" but my Dad drove it a good bit before the air filter then drove after the filter w/o knowing it was in there and he could tell a difference.
    Placebo. The increased induction noise must have fooled you. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Raxe
    replied
    My seta is my DD, but sometimes it is nice to switch from the s38 to the m20. Quieter, better on fuel and it does have a certain little "eager" feel I love about it. Like it knows it's no s38 but hell if it's not going to try its best anyways. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • E30auddie
    replied
    Originally posted by markseven
    My old M20 made 148hp/148tq. I don't think I would have noticed the additional 12 ponies.
    Not true. If you have driven it enough and know the ins and outs of the car you would be able to notice 12 more. Hell when I first got mine back in '06 drove it for a few months then threw a K&N drop in air filter in I could feel that little extra oomph. I know some will say "placebo" but my Dad drove it a good bit before the air filter then drove after the filter w/o knowing it was in there and he could tell a difference.

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    The M20 in my E34 sure is easy to get to. I can see that "bitch bolt" at the top of the bellhousing...plenty of room for sure!

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by MR 325
    Do you still have that 88?
    ...:(

    Leave a comment:


  • markseven
    replied
    Originally posted by Wishno87
    Lol let's all start doing 12v swaps shall we? 160whp m20 sounds like fun though.
    My old M20 made 148hp/148tq. I don't think I would have noticed the additional 12 ponies.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wishno87
    replied
    Lol let's all start doing 12v swaps shall we? 160whp m20 sounds like fun though.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Yeah, a 160 whp M20 is going to be pretty fun. That is better than most tired M50s.

    I like the M20's serviceability. It's not that hard to swap a timing belt every 50K miles, and a rebuild is inexpensive and at the same time, you can guarantee another 100-150K miles.

    Leave a comment:


  • jlevie
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    No, but a lot of them were not properly maintained. Really though I was just referring to my personal situation.

    Anyway, really what I miss is the soul of the M20. I think a built M20 car would be really enjoyable, even if it didn't have a whole lot of grunt. I would be willing to go back to an M20... in a different car.
    I think you could safely say that hardly any E30's have been properly maintained by this time...

    I have a built M20 in my race car and it made 160hp at the rear wheels on a DynoJet. The car is a Spec E30, so chips and the like aren't allowed. The engine and management system has to be bone stock. The car is a lot of fun to drive.

    Leave a comment:


  • rThor432
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo_328i
    Miss the M42 at all? I'm going to plunge into doing an M50TU into my 318iS but I do really enjoy driving such a rev-happy motor at the moment!
    You will probably miss the superb balance that the 4-pot delivers. I appreciated the balance when I was mixing daily use between my M42 and S52 cars.

    This thread is relevant to my situation.. I swapped from an eta to an S52 and now I removed the S52 for an M20i motor. I agree with Curt, eras rock. I miss the eta.. I donated it to a Lemons car build and they blew the fuck out of it..

    Leave a comment:


  • jahnaboi
    replied
    Originally posted by gregslow318i
    this....m20's suck
    every time I wake up and start a swap car I think of

    broken rockers
    broken timing belt
    over heating
    oil leaks
    broken timing belt again
    blown/leaking head gaskets
    oil return tube leaks
    vacuum leaks
    valve adjustments
    vbelts
    ......nope dont miss it at all
    Amen. I don't miss mine at all.

    Leave a comment:


  • MR 325
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    Anyway, really what I miss is the soul of the M20. I think a built M20 car would be really enjoyable, even if it didn't have a whole lot of grunt. I would be willing to go back to an M20... in a different car.
    Do you still have that 88?

    Leave a comment:


  • Leo_328i
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaos Theory
    How much for the M42+Getrag240 shipped to ADL?
    PM sent

    Leave a comment:


  • Chaos Theory
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo_328i
    Miss the M42 at all? I'm going to plunge into doing an M50TU into my 318iS but I do really enjoy driving such a rev-happy motor at the moment!
    How much for the M42+Getrag240 shipped to ADL?

    Leave a comment:

Working...