M50 Emissions crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 Emissions crap

Okay so I've got a problem with getting my M50 318iS trough emissions here in AZ. First time I went there it turned out I didn't have an evap system but the emissions themselves were fine. Then, on the same day, I went to my mechanic and he put in an evaporizer from a e21 he had laying around. He didn't even hook it up to the manifold, just to the fuel tank for the pressurization test at emissions.

He also grounded the small wire at the started because of an issue I had with the unloader circuit (no power to windows and A/C). So back I went to the emissions check and it passed the equipment test but then royally failed the emissions itself (values below). So back I went to my mechanic, he disconnected the wire from the starter from ground but didn't connect it back to the starter on the original position. The third time I went back to the emissions was pretty much the same as the second, way to high on the emissions, and also my A/C sporadically had power. So my question is is it possible the car somewhere thinks its in cold start enrichment all the time because the cable at the starter is grounded? Can I disable this somewhere? I'm in AZ so I don't need it really.

values:

first time:
    HC: 0.45
    CO: 3.94
    NOX: 0.36

second run: (third comparable)
    HC: 2.24 FAIL (limit 1.00)
    CO: 28.80 FAIL (limit 12.00)
    NOX: 0.88

Whats blocking the port on the manifold for the charcoal can? Why wouldn't you want to hook that up?
    Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
    Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
    Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

It's a temporary can to get it through emissions, it shouldnt affect the engine though right? My mechanic did that work so I'm not sure if there is anything blocking the port.

Comment

A little update/desperation bump:

Now the richness is actually affecting the driving. It seems to get worse when the engine is warm, today it quit on me 5 times coasting up to an intersection. Idle drops intermittently, and I can sometimes hear something like bom bom bom instead of the normal idle sound associated with the idle drop and some vibrations. I've got quite a bit of overrun warble/popping as well, and fuel economy seems terrible. Can just being in open loop cause this? Vacuum issue? oxygen sensor? injectors? At first I thought it was a bad connection somewhere, but I've noticed it's primarily due to the engine temperature. I went trough all the connectors and the c101 adapter, cleaned everything but no change.

Comment

I might be able to help you look at it if you want. I'm in the az and always down to help.

My Build

Comment

that would be more than welcome. Are you in azbmw? I'll be at the meet thursday, if everything goes to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
              Whats blocking the port on the manifold for the charcoal can? Why wouldn't you want to hook that up?
              He means is there an open port on the throttle body that the charcoal canister purge line is supposed to go to?

It could be causing a vacuum leak and messing things up.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

I've checked all the vacuum hoses and points and replaced one, no change. I made a video of the idle, you may have to turn the sound up and disregard the dirty car carpet. The sound didn't come out really good but I'd compare it to a big rough running v8 (only when it dips rpm, otherwise its pretty much standard. This was how the car was after 5 minutes of driving, the problem came pretty quickly today.

video link

Comment

anybody? I got it trough emissions with a different DME today, standard chip, but a couple of hours later it died coasting to a red light. I couldn't restart it back then, then after a couple of hours I put the other DME back in (old one with TRM chip), and I could drive it back home (stumbling though). Now with the new DME in it runs reasonably, and with the old DME it still stumbles and misses cilinders sometimes (or a lot, depending. as I said, today it completely stalled on me). Just before it stalled I it was missing cilinders even when driving, running on 2-4 in total would be my guess, so I'm thinking overfueling?

Comment

Working...
                  X