528i M52 engine into my 318is? noob content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

528i M52 engine into my 318is? noob content

K guys. I've got dibs on this engine about an hour/two away. It's a 1997 528i. I've done some research and so far all I know is I shouldn't take the wires and ecu?

I just need some direction, I'm sure this has been posted before but I can't find it.

I wan't to grab this engine but before I make the trip I need to find out how much I'm going to spend (motor is $200) and what all I need to do to it to make it run in my e30.

The motor is a trip about $40 in gas away, and it's freezing outside. So before I make this trip and bust my knuckles in this cold, help me please!

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
    K guys. I've got dibs on this engine about an hour/two away. It's a 1997 528i. I've done some research and so far all I know is I shouldn't take the wires and ecu?

I just need some direction, I'm sure this has been posted before but I can't find it.

I wan't to grab this engine but before I make the trip I need to find out how much I'm going to spend (motor is $200) and what all I need to do to it to make it run in my e30.

The motor is a trip about $40 in gas away, and it's freezing outside. So before I make this trip and bust my knuckles in this cold, help me please!
    You need an ob1 harness and all the necessary obd1 sensors.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

How much do you think that will run?

I just found that my G240 will fit.

What motor mounts do I use?

driveshaft?

and if I do obd1 conversion does that mean I need an obd1 ecu, intake, exhaust? or will the ecu in it work with obd1?

Thanks for the help

Comment

search...... there is a complete section for this swap!

Comment

How much do you think that will run?

I just found that my G240 will fit.

What motor mounts do I use?

driveshaft?

and if I do obd1 conversion does that mean I need an obd1 ecu, intake, exhaust? or will the ecu in it work with obd1?

Thanks for the help
          we have a 24v swap section
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
            search...... there is a complete section for this swap!
            I know and I can't find any specifics on the 5 series!

Comment

I know and I can't find any specifics on the 5 series!
              It's the same engine.

Comment

oh... Like oil pan and stuff. Well that's all I needed.

Preciate it junkie, you've been a big help on numerous post of mine.

Comment

Hold on, I'm at work right now. I'll send you a link to my master parts list for the same exact swap whenever I get back home.
                  2008 335i - n54b30
                  1991 318i - m52b28
                  1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Originally posted by drumad View Post
                    Hold on, I'm at work right now. I'll send you a link to my master parts list for the same exact swap whenever I get back home.
                    Please do! That would be super-duperly appreciated

Comment

i just went through this parts gathering list.........its extensive. and it depends on what type of upgrades you want. also options for cooling setups and so on.
                      FOR SALE: diamantschwarz metallic 1991 m52 e30
                      silbergrau metallic 2004 330i ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by drumad View Post
                        Send that my way to if you would.

Comment

Well, I tried my best here. It's not that big a deal, just a summary of plenty of people's other research. Most of my info has been compiled through r3v, bf.c and e30 tech.

DISCLAIMER: This is what I'm doing for my swap and everyone please recognize there are several methods for accomplishing what I'm doing (ie brake booster, tuning, clutch, etc).

M52 into 318i (M42 + G240) BMW part number,notes mounting E36 engine mount arms E28 535i motor mounts,11811132793 g240 mounts g240 crossmember transmission g240 tranny e30 325i selector rod/carrier euro 323i throw out bearing,21511204525 pilot bearing,11211709681,12x32x10 SIZE, PRE 9/90 m20 clut...

I'll keep the spreadsheet under viewing mode only until someone has corrections and such. I'll also open the sheets to other users who I know and can easily recognize as knowledgeable folks of e30 swaps.

ALSO, if anyone would like to provide their lists for their application, such as a 325i w/ m50, w/ m50nv, etc etc. That'd be awesome. Or say something else like an m30. Something like this can probably be very useful for the e30 community.
                          2008 335i - n54b30
                          1991 318i - m52b28
                          1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Wow, impressive.

M52= $400-800 in swap parts minus cost of the engine.

Well even while using the M42 clutch/flywheel, this isn't as "drop in" friendly as I thought.

Comment

If you can get all the ews stuff from the car for cheap keep it obdII if you dare.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Working...
                              X