Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My m52 Swap Story

Here is my m52 swap story...

It all started in August last year I had the itch to swap a new engine into my 1991 318is. I searched for an engine and found a 1996 328i with a good engine for only $650 with 130k miles. I bought it and here is what it looked like:

So the swap began. I removed the m42 from the 318is and removed the m52 from the 328. Did most of the work myself but had help from my father in law removing/installing the engines. He also let me do the swap (and store the cars) in his backyard. I did my research and decided to keep OBDII since I had the entire parts car including the EWS system and original key. It took a couple of hours to get the engine to sit on the mounts but we muscled it in. I was in the process of wiring it up when disaster struck.

It was a very windy day and the trees were swaying way too much. There was a dead tree about 15 feet from where my car was so my father in law suggested we move it closer to the house in case the tree fell down. We pushed it over near the deck and went inside to have lunch. I'm sitting there eating lunch when all the sudden I hear a loud crack and watch the tree fall toward the house and hit the deck. I wasn't even thinking of my car until I went outside and saw this:

The tree fell over, took out a large branch from another tree, took out the clothesline (with clothes on it) then slammed onto the top of my car. As you can see from the pictures, it crushed the rear corner of the car, pushing it down about 6 inches, shattering the rear window and rear side window. It also took out my roof rack and bike carrier.

Obviously it was deemed a total loss but my parents-in-law claimed it on their homeowners insurance and I got almost $1000 for it (was able to keep it).

I then started looking for another e30 to swap the m52 into. Found one a couple months later, a 1987 325e for only $500. Brought that home, swapped the engine out and put the m52 in. This time around we were able to get the new engine into the car in about half an hour. Got everything wired up and here is how she sits today:

And the money shots...

Interior (swapped from the 318is)

Specs on my car:
    - 1987 325e zinnoberrot coupe
    - 1996 M52B28 OBDII engine, includes EWSII system
    - late e30 325 single mass flywheel, clutch, PP
    - g240 transmission (from the 91 318is)
    - e36 325 driveshaft
    - 3.73 LSD
    - Wired my own c101 (e30) to x20 (e36) adapter
    - Ebay replica headers
    - 2.5-inch single piping all the way back
    - High flow cat
    - Borla ProSX center exhaust
    - Vibrant streetpower rear muffler
    - e34 535i stock air box
    - moved stock brake booster 1/2 inch to the right

I think that's about it. Car drives great and pulls hard. Next up is the m50 manifold swap and s52 cams when I can find a pair. Then custom OBDII software and I'll be happy :twisted:
    M/S52 Wiring Diagrams
    Z3M S52 to late model 325i wiring diagram
    M52 to 318is wiring diagram

Inspiring shit dude, glad you didnt just call it a day when that tree fell, i knew i woulda cried.

Comment

Dam that sucks about the tree! I would have been so shitty after all the work of the swap. The fist thing I thought was he better put that on his homeowners.

Good job.
      1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
      1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
      1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

looking good i like your intake :D btw i have an m50 intake manifold fs: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198219 feel free to shoot me an offer if youre interested

Comment

my jaw dropped when i saw the tree on top of your car. i was expecting it was the donor car. Damn.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
          ---------------------------------
          89 E30 S52
          ---------------------------------
          Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Dang I would have Been quite upset if a debris fell on my car like that too. Nice work. Also have an intake Manifold for sale too if needed.
            sigpic

Comment

Hey Lucky,

Glad it worked out with the insurance car looks great. Would you care to share you wiring for the c101 to x20 as i am doing a very similar swap '91 318is w/ '98 S52.

Thanks,

Seth

Comment

Man that sucks about your other car. Looked very nice.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                $5 shipped?
                Originally posted by MarkD
                You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Man, that must have been a real bummer! Glad you saw it through though. Really digging the E34 airbox!!
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Appreciate all the comments. I was pretty bummed when the 318 got crushed. I was hoping to find a plastic bumper replacement but I wanted to get the engine in before winter struck and was on a tight budget.

Thanks for the offers with the m50 manifold but I already have one sitting in my garage.
                    M/S52 Wiring Diagrams

Comment

sucks about the tree... :( what car is that intake from?
                      95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                      Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                      LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by kalib0y View Post
                        sucks about the tree... :( what car is that intake from?
                        e34 m30 535i stock air box, also in the 735 from that era too I believe
                        M/S52 Wiring Diagrams

Comment

hey, I'm planning on doing a m52 swap when the summer comes around, I've never done an engine swap so its going to be quite some work for me.. I've been doing some research on the trannys, and I can't seem to find any answers anywhere, will the stock 318is tranny work with the m52 engine? or not? Some people say it will but if you run the stock tranny I'd need a stronger clutch.
                          2003.5 Slicktop Silver-grey M3 6 speed
                          Individual Blue Onyx 1988 528e -2.7i turbo (sold)
                          1998 328i (sold)
                          91 318is -24v Swap (sold)

Comment

you don't want the stock 318 trans behind an M52, too weak. Best to take the trans that came with the M52, which should be a ZF, or find one at a scrap yard...

I know OP is using the stock G240, so it's somewhat the matter of choice, I broke some so I went with a ZF
                            Last edited by franky2fingaz; 02-07-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevine30 View Post
                              hey, I'm planning on doing a m52 swap when the summer comes around, I've never done an engine swap so its going to be quite some work for me.. I've been doing some research on the trannys, and I can't seem to find any answers anywhere, will the stock 318is tranny work with the m52 engine? or not? Some people say it will but if you run the stock tranny I'd need a stronger clutch.
                              Yes, the stock 318is tranny, which is a g240, will work for the swap. I've run my m52 with s52 cams (200+ wheel HP) and g240 for over 20k miles without issues. Car has been autox'd quite a few times without issues. As long as you aren't planning to boost the engine the g240 will be fine.

As for a clutch, I recommend an m20 clutch with the late model single mass flywheel. If you run this combo you will also need an m20 starter to match the flywheel teeth.

As for the driveshaft, you'll need an e36 driveshaft off a manual 325. There may be other driveshafts that fit but that's what I used.

Good luck with your swap!
                              M/S52 Wiring Diagrams

Comment

Working...
                              X