X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m52 wiiring

hi guys help me wireup my m52 obd1
    i have search but cant find a page that explains how to wire the engine
    can someone give me a link or something thanks!

for OBD2->obd1 conversion motor into E30, its hard to find a comprehensive guide yes-

you are combining:

24v e30 swap+s52-obd conversion+M50 manifold on S52

get all obd1 sensors: to find the part numbers easiest google search terms:

"s52 obd1"

it should get you to listed parts/specific photos, etc etc.

Ideally you can locate an entire E34 1993-95 525 vanos donor motor for the oil pan and OBD1 vanos sensors, you will need ever single sensor on the engine

you will need:

m50 vanos fuel rail; the M52/s52 has no FPR.........its under the car.

e34 525i vanos wiring harness; complete

jump pnp harness adapter for e30+24v vanos, or wiring diagram to re-pin the connector yourself. its ~not that many wires

m50vanos sensors:

cam angle sensor (bolted in head)
    crank position sensor: bolted to mount by front crank pulley teeth
    vanos solinoid (with its long tail)
    both knock sensors (bolted to block)
    Air temp sensor (in the M50 intake manifold)

both sensors bolted to the cylinder head (water temp x 2 - one goes to DME one to guage cluster) - the cluster one you will re-use your old M20 unit -

HFM you will need the M50 vanos one
    emissions valve near the air box from M50 vanos (if you care)
    TPS and IAC are same PN between S52/m52 and M50

OBD1 ecu with no ews

if wired and connected properly, it should fire right up; on stoc M50 vanos DME no chip required.!
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
      for OBD2->obd1 conversion motor into E30, its hard to find a comprehensive guide yes-

you are combining:

24v e30 swap+s52-obd conversion+M50 manifold on S52

get all obd1 sensors: to find the part numbers easiest google search terms:

"s52 obd1"

it should get you to listed parts/specific photos, etc etc.

Ideally you can locate an entire E34 1993-95 525 vanos donor motor for the oil pan and OBD1 vanos sensors, you will need ever single sensor on the engine

you will need:

m50 vanos fuel rail; the M52/s52 has no FPR.........its under the car.

e34 525i vanos wiring harness; complete

jump pnp harness adapter for e30+24v vanos, or wiring diagram to re-pin the connector yourself. its ~not that many wires

m50vanos sensors:

cam angle sensor (bolted in head)
      crank position sensor: bolted to mount by front crank pulley teeth
      vanos solinoid (with its long tail)
      both knock sensors (bolted to block)
      Air temp sensor (in the M50 intake manifold)

both sensors bolted to the cylinder head (water temp x 2 - one goes to DME one to guage cluster) - the cluster one you will re-use your old M20 unit -

HFM you will need the M50 vanos one
      emissions valve near the air box from M50 vanos (if you care)
      TPS and IAC are same PN between S52/m52 and M50

OBD1 ecu with no ews

if wired and connected properly, it should fire right up; on stoc M50 vanos DME no chip required.!
      Regarding the temp sensors, (most) obd2 motors did not have a 3rd hole for the Gauge Coolant temp sensor, you will either have to:

a) drill a hole and tap the head to fit the e30 sensor (luckily BMW used the same casting as the m50 so there's a spot to drill)

b) delete the throttle body heater line and tap that to fit the e30 sender then just plug the lines on the Throttle body,

c) use an in line adapter from zionsville : http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111400

OR

d) I've read about removing the coolant drain plug, extending the wires and using the sensor there, I'd be wary of the heat from the exhaust and the fact that a coolant reading from the block will not be as accurate (aka lower) as a reading from the cylinder head, where the combustion actually occurs.

Solid info, search s52 obd1 in the 24v section for a pretty detailed writeup. Im in the process of doing this myself now and I have learned A LOT. Once you get into it, there will be more questions.
      Originally posted by ebelements
      Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

yes, this is a puzzle. My s52 had a plug from the factory in the second hole, so I was able to PNP the 2nd temp sensor directly to the head from m50 obd1 vanos; My swap was in a non vanos E34 so wiring adaptation was not required- just PNP the proper vanos engine harness .

the turner adapter is may not be ideal for E30 m20 car as the temp to guage for m20 is not same PN as M50 obd1- drill and tap for OEM m20 sensor would be best (if possible)

Originally posted by sticksdaman View Post
        Regarding the temp sensors, (most) obd2 motors did not have a 3rd hole for the Gauge Coolant temp sensor, you will either have to:

a) drill a hole and tap the head to fit the e30 sensor (luckily BMW used the same casting as the m50 so there's a spot to drill)

b) delete the throttle body heater line and tap that to fit the e30 sender then just plug the lines on the Throttle body,

c) use an in line adapter from zionsville : http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111400

OR

d) I've read about removing the coolant drain plug, extending the wires and using the sensor there, I'd be wary of the heat from the exhaust and the fact that a coolant reading from the block will not be as accurate (aka lower) as a reading from the cylinder head, where the combustion actually occurs.

Solid info, search s52 obd1 in the 24v section for a pretty detailed writeup. Im in the process of doing this myself now and I have learned A LOT. Once you get into it, there will be more questions.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Yea, there is a bunch of conflicting info regarding the obd1 conversion, I made sure I only included information I've researched and or done myself.

for clarity, the adapter I was referring to was the zionsville unit : http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...de/OBDITSM.htm

not to be confused with:

The second one reportedly doesnt provide the right output for the e30 temp gauge and therefore doesnt work. Again, that is purely speculation based on what ive read.
          Originally posted by ebelements
          Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

well the engine is in, tomorrow i have to do the wiring i have no clue on where any plug goes to. lol

about the temp sensor i think im going to go with the :

thanks for the help if i have antmore questions ill ask again. lol

Comment

Working...
            X