Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have a picture of the e36 pan in an e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone have a picture of the e36 pan in an e30?

i know i'm supposed ot be using an e34 pan on the swap, but the thread about the tubular front crossmember got me thinking.... could an e36 pan be modified to fit with some welding? i have 4 e36 pans from various projects, but no e34 pans, and I'm too cheap to buy one (plus modifying one sounds like more fun anyway)

so, is it just a slearance issue, or is it far more involved than that?

It will cost as much if not more to modify your subframe and e36 pan. Go find a used e34 pan and thank me later. ;)

Comment

You would essentially be making an e34 pan out of the e36 pans trying to make it fit...just get an e34 pan.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
        It will cost as much if not more to modify your subframe and e36 pan. Go find a used e34 pan and thank me later. ;)
        it's only going to cost me welding supplies. i can buy a lot of mig gas and wire for $200

if it just won't work in any way, then i understand, i was hoping someone had a picture of where it hits, so i can see it. I might drop mine in the car soon and just see. might be a good time ot look at dry sump kits..... :D

i'm trying to avoid having my oil pan stick down 3 inches lower than the subframe.

Comment

Originally posted by weaksauce View Post
          it's only going to cost me welding supplies. i can buy a lot of mig gas and wire for $200
          Your chances of successfully welding a used cast aluminum BMW oilpan with a standard mig are slim to none, just judging by the knowledge presented in the above sentence.

Originally posted by weaksauce View Post
          if it just won't work in any way, then i understand, i was hoping someone had a picture of where it hits, so i can see it. I might drop mine in the car soon and just see. might be a good time ot look at dry sump kits..... :D

i'm trying to avoid having my oil pan stick down 3 inches lower than the subframe.
          It can work, and the guys running s54s are doing it for good reason, but it certainly isn't a cheaper/easier proposition for a standard swap. Going dry sump is an easy way to double you swap's budget overnight. ;) Seriously I can buy 3 or 4 NEW e34 oilpans and a skidplate from peerless or ejnight for less than it would cost to convert to drysump or modify the pan/subframe to use an e36 setup. (your time has to be worth something even if it's min. wage.)

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
            (your time has to be worth something even if it's min. wage.)
            lmao

Originally posted by Roysneon
            $5 shipped?
            Originally posted by MarkD
            You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Does the E34 525i pan have to be from an M50 car? Sorry to thread jack.
              1990 M3 / 1998 M3

Comment

Sell a few of your e36 pans, i got $75 when i sold mine. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?
                -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

yeah........i got my E34 pan for $90 shipped, and that was from a salvage yard that still had to removed it. AND they threw in the oil pick up for free. I had it three days after ordering it.

I had the same crazy idea when i first started my 24V swap.......dont bother. As others have posted, I'm sure, there IS a guy on this forum that sells the altered oil pans and front sub frames..........Good luck

24V M50, M3 cams, Turner Tune, full exhaust, ect....

Comment

Damn, my junk yard sold my pan and dip stick for $25.
                    NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

well.....mines carbon fiber

24V M50, M3 cams, Turner Tune, full exhaust, ect....

Comment

I deleted my pan

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I run an M42 pan. Works really great.
                          Originally posted by TSI
                          ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                          OEM+

Comment

If your going to fab anything. Fab a tubular subframe.
                            Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                            Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                            Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

What sucks is that you can go to JEGS and and they have 5 pages of aftermarket oil pans for small block Chevy and Ford.

We need a Chinese ebay oil pan.

What would the perfect design look like? E34 but shallower and wider?

Comment

Working...
                              X