Quick question on m50b25 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question on m50b25 swap

Ok so gathering everything I need before istart the swap. I understand that if i use my getrag 260 tranny ill have to fab up the brace and my shifter will be off just a bit. I also have the e36 tranny already mated to the motor. Which transmission should i go with?

Originally posted by JRector View Post
    Ok so gathering everything I need before istart the swap. I understand that if i use my getrag 260 tranny ill have to fab up the brace and my shifter will be off just a bit. I also have the e36 tranny already mated to the motor. Which transmission should i go with?
    Which do you prefer? I would have sworn by the zf tranny before driving my swap with the 260. Unfortunately for you this is a very debatable topic with no clear cut answer.

For me, s52 with a 3.46s and a 260 is a perfect combination for ME!

A lot depends on your application and what not.

Originally posted by Roysneon
    $5 shipped?
    Originally posted by MarkD
    You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Arent there 2 different transmissions for e36 the ZF and the Getrag 250?

Comment

correct, but many people use the g260 from the m20, or some like myself even use the g240 from the m42
        http://l0st0n3.mybrute.com
        http://l0st-0n3.mybrute.com
        Work in progress: 1991 318i m50 swap

Feedback thread :up:

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
        I prefer having a female in the car at all times. They generally smell good, but you do have to put up with that hole in their face.

Comment

i used the 260 that my car came with. so far feels good.
          maybe it depends if you're willing to do the work it takes to make that tranny work (make/buy tranny brace and twist shift link)

Comment

Yes im willing to make brace work and the linkage..i got a buddy who is a welder. What did you do to your brace to make up for the 10degree shift?

Comment

Just get one of these. Couldn't be easier.

Comment

I have a 260 on hand but I think I'm going to go with the 250 already on my M50 just to keep it simple. I'm going to test drive it a bit then figure out what diff to go with afterwards.
                For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                Originally posted by mbonanni
                I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Ok ill def be looking into grabbing that brace. What about the shift linkage?

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
                    Which do you prefer? I would have sworn by the zf tranny before driving my swap with the 260. Unfortunately for you this is a very debatable topic with no clear cut answer.

For me, s52 with a 3.46s and a 260 is a perfect combination for ME!

A lot depends on your application and what not.
                    I hate you Sam....

Comment

Originally posted by JRector View Post
                      Ok ill def be looking into grabbing that brace. What about the shift linkage?
                      i made my own brace, just like the one that is on the link that white325is makes
                      took me an afternoon to make with 1/4 steel. about 1.5 inches wide.

the shift linkage you can either cut and weld it back together with the twist adjustment, or get a small torch heat it up and twist it yourself, put one end on a vice, then use a 10mm socket wit extension and twist to the left. might need to do it little by little and try putting it on there until it fits right.

i got all this info by a lot of time spent on research, most of it on here, so those are my sources.

Goodluck!

Comment

I appreciate it..the tranny/driveshaft issue was my only question. I believe the carrier bearing is flipped around and you can use the e30s driveshafts

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                          I hate you Sam....
                          lol well I have a 3.15s sitting in the garage if I do go to a zf. BUT I'm liking the 260 so far.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                          $5 shipped?
                          Originally posted by MarkD
                          You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Working...
                          X