Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S50 idles at 1,100 rpm, runs great, does 900 rpm on cold start??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 idles at 1,100 rpm, runs great, does 900 rpm on cold start??

Searched around, plenty of threads on wandering or surging idle, but haven't seen any on a consistently high idle... looking for any suggestions.

When I first started the engine, I was really happy that it fired up and ran very well. Idle was above 1,100 but I didn't have any slack in the (new E34) throttle cable. So I took away material on the throttle adjuster such that I could get the specified amount of slack. This reduced idle but not significantly.

Also the car always idles lower on cold start and then the idle comes up as the motor warms up. Is this a problem with the ICV? Not getting any check engine light. Planning on getting it tested for any vacuum leaks but I can't imagine the car would hold a steady idle with any significant leak.

Other than that, it's honestly running awesome. Only issues are an exhaust rattle which I hope is just a loose O2 bung screw, and the aux fan switch isn't functioning with the a/c button (yea it's kinda ghetto but I ran out of time and it worked easily at first) as of a recent move (car was shipped cross-country... 3 days after I got the swap running). Hopefully some simple wiring.

Oh and for those interested: I had to make a quick video of the first start-up when I picked up the car from the muffler shop. I'm running some eBay shorty-style headers (came new with the motor) and a UUC System-U (new) from an e36 M3, with custom pipes connecting them, basically straight pipes with the single UUC muffler.

First time hearing my S50 swapped e30 after the muffler shop finished adapting eBay shorty-style headers to straight pipes with UUC System U "catback" (which...

Will make a better video when I get rid of this rattle. In love with the sound, and it's actually quiet when I want it to be.
    Last edited by butters; 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM. Reason: youtube tags not working

cant see video, is it all 1100, or can u tell motor is louder to confirm it?

maybe wrong coding plug?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I updated the coding plug and it's definitely louder. Was very noticeable with open headers, thought maybe the lack of an exhaust and O2 sensor had something to do with it. But that hasn't changed my idle.

Comment

so your harness worked out well?

is the ICV humming with the ignition turned on?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Are you running a chip for a light weight flywheel? Those have higher idles dialed in to conpensate I believe.

Originally posted by Roysneon
          $5 shipped?
          Originally posted by MarkD
          You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Mine did the exact same thing when I finished my swap. The ICV was just stuck in one spot. Cleaned and freed it up and it's idled perfectly since then.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              so your harness worked out well?

is the ICV humming with the ignition turned on?
              Yes! Thank you so much again, the harness worked perfectly, the car fired up without much trouble (once I got the grounds sorted...lol). Now I just need to tuck it into the 318 cover... thankfully the OBD1 harness isn't terribly bulky.

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
              Are you running a chip for a light weight flywheel? Those have higher idles dialed in to conpensate I believe.
              The motor came with an EWS delete chip, but it looks to be the basic TRM EWS delete with no other alterations.

Originally posted by Reckless_Havoc View Post
              Mine did the exact same thing when I finished my swap. The ICV was just stuck in one spot. Cleaned and freed it up and it's idled perfectly since then.
              This is what I'm hoping. I'll have to get on that asap, should fix it right up. I'll report back for the archives.

Comment

Cleaned it, no change. Guess that means it's no good

Comment

Working...
                X