• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

code 1234 - speed sensor

anyone ever get this code?

code 1234, I reset it, and it comes back with a cel every 20 miles or so

Any ideas?

Who made your adapter? You need to hook up pin 14 on the c101 to pin 14 on the x20.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

did this happen to you before?

My speedometer works perfect, as everything else...

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
      Who made your adapter? You need to hook up pin 14 on the c101 to pin 14 on the x20.

Comment

It's probably number two on the list of most asked swap issues. Try searching sometime.

Comment

I just searched online and couldnt find much. I saw on diagrams pin14 for both harnesses as you said.

My question is, I can still have a functioning speedometer as the signal is from the sensor in the diff, but at the same time have a bad connection between pin14 on c101 and x20?

I also forgot to mention the PO wired the car incorrectly, and my friend had to get the diagnostic port to work as I was getting a 1281 code, but no stuck with a recurring 1234

Comment

Is your car an early model? Early models run the VSS (vehicle speed signal) and tach signals through a different connector.

It has nothing to do with making the speedo work.

The VSS going through the engine harness originates at the back of the speedo and runs either through c101 (late model) or c104 (early model)

Comment

I have a late model, 89 325i with a s50b30us motor

Comment

Try driving it around easy for about 30mins/miles after resetting it. IIRC that's how mine went away. I think the ecu just has to get used to the new signals

Comment

you need to check your C101 wiring. most likely the VSS just isn't hooked up.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by E30auddie View Post
                    Try driving it around easy for about 30mins/miles after resetting it. IIRC that's how mine went away. I think the ecu just has to get used to the new signals
                    the signals are exactly the same. both the E30 and E36 use a 9-tooth diff/speedo sensor.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

PO had the wire from speed sensor to dme, not hooked up to the A side. Had it hooked up to O2s. Fixed, no CEL

Comment

sounds like quite the mess of a harness, speed signal hooked up to O2 sensor? obviously the PO didnt bother to crack an ETM and just went on some random pin to ping diagram, which obviously wasn't the right/good one.

is your O2 sensor hooked up correctly now too?

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Everything is working and hooked up right thanks to jahnaboi

Comment

Working...
                          X