The Grand Vanos VS. Non-Vanos Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30_pilot View Post
    I've been in a vanos swapped e30 at an autox event about a year ago? And after finishing my nonvanos swap I don't really see/feel the difference. But then again it was a year when I was in the vanos car.
    Roberts car? I have his motor in my car now hahah. come to the next auto-x ;)

Anyway... my theory is the newer design (vanos) has to be better than the older one. why would the engineering team at BMW go though the trouble if there was no gain. I don't understand the debate.

Comment

Meh honestly it's kinda funny listening to you guys go on about how fast your VANOS or non-Vanos M50 is. Can you really even feel the difference between it and an m20?

My s52 doesn't even feel that fast to me anymore. I think I need some boost, some Gt35r would really brighten my day.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
        The only difference between an M50TU -> S50 swap and M50NV -> S50 swap is that you will need a different harness. Really if you know what you are doing the 24v swap is not much more difficult than just an engine pull/install. Just gotta frankenstein the right parts together, do simple wiring and figure out your exhaust. May need another radiator if you're an early model.
        Being able to reuse the dme and harness makes it easier to go to, say, a 2.8 or a 3.2. It's a plus, albeit not a big one.

And yes, I agree, swaps aren't hard as long as you start out with a car that doesn't scream "fix me while you're in there."

It's just a question of how much you value your time, and whether you think the compromises are worth it. For me, there isn't nearly enough gain from an M50 to justify the hassle and the annoyances. I frequently compare a strong M20 (in the '90) to the S50, and frankly, there are things about the M20 car that I prefer.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
          Meh honestly it's kinda funny listening to you guys go on about how fast your VANOS or non-Vanos M50 is.
          You won't once find me calling an M50 "fast," and the guys with LS1 camaros, vettes, supras etc would all think it's cute listening to you talk down on the guys with only 170whp. Nobody wants to hear about your e-penis, and there is always someone faster--who cares?

Can you really even feel the difference between it and an m20?
          Like I've said 3 or 4 times in this thread, yes. The M20 falls on its face way before the M50 does. It's not monumental, but it's noticeable.

My s52 doesn't even feel that fast to me anymore. I think I need some boost, some Gt35r would really brighten my day.
          People always say this. You are just used to the power, and it will happen no matter how much you have.

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          And yes, I agree, swaps aren't hard as long as you start out with a car that doesn't scream "fix me while you're in there."

It's just a question of how much you value your time, and whether you think the compromises are worth it. For me, there isn't nearly enough gain from an M50 to justify the hassle and the annoyances. I frequently compare a strong M20 (in the '90) to the S50, and frankly, there are things about the M20 car that I prefer.
          I like M20s too--I did my swap for many reasons, only one of them being for the power. Another was honestly that I just wanted to do an engine swap.

I guess my point is that the numbers are right in front of you. I see people disappointed after doing m50 swaps because they aren't that much faster--if you are expecting some massive power difference between a 168hp m20 and 189hp m50, then you're an idiot. But to blindly proclaim that "m50 swaps aren't worth it" is just ignorant. It depends on your preference, the state of your current motor, funds, etc

If I had the chance to go back, undo the swap, save my money etc, there's no way I'd reverse it. I mean, if I had another $1500 to spend, I'd have gone with an S50. But I didn't.

Comment

Non-Vanos motors make more high end torque if you know how to tune them, and know the secret sauces. Mine makes above 160 ft/lbs of torque to the wheels from 4500-6500 rpm, and only drops to 155 ft/lbs at 6900. Dont even have to touch the internals :)

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
            Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
            Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
              Costed? :D

But my reasons for the NV were the same, got the whole engine with E34 oil pan/dipstick, E36 arms, ECU, and wiring harness for $700 delivered (well, halfway), it was too good of a deal to pass up, and within my budget. From an auto car, low miles, great looking internals. Doesn't mean I can't change it up later.
              Yup it COST;) me 500 for a complete motor haha

Originally posted by Highway1 View Post
              Roberts car? I have his motor in my car now hahah. come to the next auto-x ;)

Anyway... my theory is the newer design (vanos) has to be better than the older one. why would the engineering team at BMW go though the trouble if there was no gain. I don't understand the debate.
              Yeah yeah robs car. I didn't know he sold the motor, when was this? Lol
              I haven't renewed my membership for this season but ill def try to come out. Need to smog the car first lol
              -Frank
              1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
              1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
              2001 525i

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                Nobody wants to hear about your e-penis
                Really? I didn't realize I was flaunting anything.

Oh hai guyz my s52 makes so much power I'm bored with it, so there!

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

S50.

Comment

Rob sold his car to some guy in Mill Valley about a year ago. I got the full swap from that guy who had crashed it. It's a very small 24v world.

Comment

Wtf? Lol wooooow.
                      -Frank
                      1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
                      1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
                      2001 525i

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
                        Really? I didn't realize I was flaunting anything.

Oh hai guyz my s52 makes so much power I'm bored with it, so there!
                        "Teehee M50s are slow, I have an S52, I want a turbo"

Just sayin' ;)

Comment

Working...
                        X