Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator mounting help

Hey all,
    Doing an m50 swap into my early (84' 318i) e30, and I was wondering if anyone could provide some guidance on a couple of things...first being how they mounted their radiator. I have a rad out of a 95' 325i (e36), I'm assuming I need to remove the fan shroud, but I'm not seeing an easy solution for mounting it up to the rad support.

My second question, is about the transmission crossmember, I ordered a full m50 swap from bav auto, and they sent me an e36 325i 4dr cross member (my e30 is a coupe, if this makes a difference) and the cross member does not seem to match up in any way, shape or form. I know the studs slide for adjustment, but there's no way it will line up with any of the holes on the Xmember. Help? (below is a pic of the piece with the mounts installed)

Edit: from what I've been reading on AKG, I guess I can still use my factory trans support with different mounts, anyone else done this?
    Last edited by n3rdy30; 09-24-2011, 09:45 AM.

1984 318i (w/ delicious M50 powa)
    Produktionsdatum: 03.10.1983
    Außenfarbe: Achatgruen Metallic (177)

For the radiator, Ive seen a couple of guys fab some spacers for where the radiator actually sits on and then they used their factory top piece to clamp the radiator in place.

As for the trans brace, you're going to want to use your stock trans brace with some e21 transmission mounts. I guess the e21 trans mounts are stiffer so you get less front/back/side/side deflection. If you plan on using the stock fan clutch, you might want to look into some trans mount reinforcement cups to save your fan from hitting your radiator under hard braking.

Comment

Awesome information e46s54dr, I really appreciate it man. I've already got the top mounting hardware on its way, and the e21 trans mounts. Now I just have to get the new clutch in, throw the trans back on, and drop it all in the car!

Comment

m50 swap kit from bav auto?!
        Thats the completely wrong trans brace.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Link for bavauto swap kit?

What tranny are you using?

COTM

Comment

I called them up and ordered it over the phone. Theres no actual link for a full swap, they just put it all together. The guy Josh that helped me initially won't return my emails. :-/ Im not too happy about their customer service right now, seems as soon as they got paid they stopped talking to me. I hate talking smack on them but i hope the guy is just out of town or something. Come to find out it is the wrong cross member, but I guess I can use my stock one with different mounts? Hopefully the ones pictured.

Comment

Are you talking about Bave Auto or Bavarian Auto Recycling

Comment

Bav auto recycling

Comment

My bad, should have specified sorry

Comment

Im not too far from augusta ;)

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                      Im not too far from augusta ;)
                      I'm actually in fayetteville now, I just updated my crap. Sorry about that lol. Got my clutch alignment tool today...it was the wrong one...sigh. Bav auto recycling sent me a clutch without the tool in it, soooo I had to order it...got the wrong one sent to me...FFUUUUUU!!!:hitler::hitler:

Comment

Stay away from Bav Auto Recycling. Their assholes and idiots. Ive heard NOTHING good about them
                        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Use the upper radiator mount from a late E30 325i.
                          For the lower mounts, I bought some big rubber plug/spacers (looks like a 1.5" tall tapered plug) from Lowes and bolted them to the existing lower brackets on the car.
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Working...
                          X