98-99 e36 323is into e30??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98-99 e36 323is into e30??

Not at all aware that this is feasible but would like to know for future if possible. I know that the e36 engines will fit the e30 but wanted to know if the 98-99 alum block 323is will also fit/has been successfully swapped (lighter so interested in exploring this option)???

OBD2, Dual Vanos

Before post, search

Comment

It will fit, exactly the same dimensions as the M50 block. Not sure about Canadian markets but the USA market M52s all have cast iron blocks so your easiest swap route would probably be to just get an M50TU out of an E34 525i or E36 325i if you can find one.

I've got a 1998 E36 323i alloy block motor in my garrage waiting to go into my E30 318iS.
      Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Nice, I knew this was feasible - again my main concern was just using the alum block THANKS and please get on with it so we can see the results would ya!! What is the delay already??? Good luck with that and please, again, a thorough step by step would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eecen View Post
          OBD2, Dual Vanos *single vanos later e46 2.5 = dual

Before post, search
          should have done that - my bad thanks

Comment

Are you sure it's single vanos?

I was under the impression that engine was a de-stroked M52tub28. And the M52tub28 is dual vanos.

Edit; nevermind, you're right it is single for the E36, dual on E46

Comment

The reason am aware of this is simply because the 323ti used to be the focus of my attention as it had the lighter weight in check (and batt in the back). That was then this is now (I would rather the original e30 and plop that sucker in there)

Comment

Originally posted by e30sequel View Post
                The reason am aware of this is simply because the 323ti used to be the focus of my attention as it had the lighter weight in check (and batt in the back). That was then this is now (I would rather the original e30 and plop that sucker in there)
                some e30's had the battery in the trunk factory.

the alu block is less durable than the steel, likes to destroy its head stud threads
                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

a stock 323i motor is pretty sad - about 170bhp. Very much choked off from the factory. You can do an OBDI conversion and manifold to get some of that power back, but IMO, you're much better off with an M52B28 to start with. at best you'd end up with stock M50B25 vanos power..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The lighter weight is what I'm after...... and I could live with the shorter life expectancy (the e30 will probably need a big overhaul anyway by the time the e36 2.5 dies!) Does anyone happen to know the weight diff of the 323is/m20??

As a side note, are the e46 engines off limits because of wiring (or something along those lines) or is just a matter of complication? I remember my only option was to stay with the e36 family when I owned a 318ti. Any info would be appreciated ......I would want it to be as close to the m50 transplant as possible (which needs some work at least, but overall seems to have been perfected). The alloy 2001-2006 3.0 in the e46/z3 would be lighter and ALOT more powerful/reliable than my m20. That or the free revving 2.2 from same family. Too bad about the head stud threads though........WANGANSTYLE, have any solutions developed for this?? Or is it just something I would have to accept about that family of engines if I choose this route ???

I just cannot get around the idea of the extra iron weight. This is what the 91 318i/is (and my old 318ti RIP) was all about right. The light weight and place batt in the back = way better (for me anyway) than outright balls. Maybe I should start considering going to A 4 cylinder .... I am already familiar with the m44 1.9 and they are abundant, but obd2.....dont exactly like the m42... oh, this was why I was thinking inline .... ok forget the 4, back to the inline....and the best compromise is still the 323is engine IMO or for my needs. Thanks in advance folks.
                    Last edited by e30sequel; 10-17-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      a stock 323i motor is pretty sad - about 170bhp. Very much choked off from the factory. You can do an OBDI conversion and manifold to get some of that power back, but IMO, you're much better off with an M52B28 to start with. at best you'd end up with stock M50B25 vanos power..
                      Mechanically speaking the stock 323i motor (M52 B25) and 325i (M50 B25) are almost identical. The reduction in power is due to the restrictive inlet manifold as well as the horrendous 4 cylinder single pipe exhaust system that was fitted to these cars.

The 323i motor actually has some mild improvements in the valvetrain components over the 325i including the introduction of conical valve springs for reduced friction and extra material on the camshafts for better balance. Admittedly these aren't major changes however they are welcome revisions nonetheless.

The 323i motor actually has some mild improvements in the valvetrain components over the 325i including the introduction of conical valve springs for reduced friction and extra material on the camshafts for better balance.

I would hardly describe the 323i motor as being 'sad', especially in markets outside the USA as its basically an M50TU with updated valvetrain that weighs a whopping 23kg less due to the use of an alloy block.

If you fitted a 328i exhaust system and M50 inlet manifold it should make more power than a stock M50TU.
                      Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

Why go through all the hassle to swap a 24v engine to make the same power as a healthy m20? Pointless swap swap is pointless.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

It may make the same power, but it's more reliable and efficient and has torque. M20 no have tq.
                          Originally posted by 325Projectz
                          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                          :nice:

Comment

why is weight savings not being addressed? So even as is, it would have same power as m20 BUT way less weight = better EVERYTHING (maybe closer to the 318i handling prowess over the 325.....not power, handling!!)

was the 99 323is not the transitional car into the e46 family of engines?? thats what got me thinking of the alternate options .....so again, has anyone done a swap with the e46 3.0? no readily available info on this!!
                            Last edited by e30sequel; 10-20-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30sequel View Post
                              why is weight savings not being addressed? So even as is, it would have same power as m20 BUT way less weight = better EVERYTHING (maybe closer to the 318i handling prowess over the 325.....not power, handling!!)
                              Same weight as M20, no? M5x are quite a bit heavier than the M20, so an alloy block M52 will be near as makes no difference M20 weight. With M20 power. With M20 torque.

Failing to see any reason whatsoever for this swap except to say "I've done a motor swap!"
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                              X