Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using 3.46 Diff behind a ZF trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using 3.46 Diff behind a ZF trans?

Im torn on what diff to use- s52/zf. The car will see 50/50 street and track use.
    I have seen some videos of this combo on track, and it seemed perfect, but is it un-bearable on the street?

Probably end up with 3.23, but Id like that little extra oomph' out of the corners. Never really driven a swapped e30, so nothing to compare to.
    -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
    2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

I'm going with 3.46 in my s52/zf I've heard of people going higher as well

I'm not going to be doin more than 120 (km) on the roads so I don't think I'll be annoyed at it topping out

On some of the YouTube videos the ratio is listed, that helped me get a feel for the ratios

That said I may end up 3.23 down the road if i dont like the 3.46

Comment

Wheel and tire size should also be factored in-

As of right now is 225-45-15 for track- 225-45-16 for street. But I may go for 16's for both street an track. Im reading some older threads, and theres alot of good info- but it seems alot of guys run 17's, which would considerably change things.
      -Jay

Comment

I drive my car mostly on the street with a ZF/3.46. I've been to the track a few times and I've never felt like the gearing was too high. I run 225/45R15.

The place where I wish I had a lower gear ratio (like a 3.23 or a 3.25) is while autocrossing. I have to shift a lot more than people who run a 3.25 with taller tires (E36).

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I have one as well. In the next configuration it will be but that is only because of FI. I'd love a 6th gear but that's not happening.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I am running a zf with 3.46. I have driven it on long trips to the e30 picnic and other bbqs and such. It is not terrible on the freeway. This combo is flawless at the drag strip. I am right at the top of 4th gear at the finish.

I'm running 225/50r15 in the rear.

-Mac
            Last edited by MacBudd541; 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM.
            1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
            2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
            2003 X5 3.0

Comment

i have a 3.46, bearable on the highway but I'm holding out for a 6 speed. I love it around town though.

I have 205/50/16's
              '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                I drive my car mostly on the street with a ZF/3.46. I've been to the track a few times and I've never felt like the gearing was too high. I run 225/45R15.

The place where I wish I had a lower gear ratio (like a 3.23 or a 3.25) is while autocrossing. I have to shift a lot more than people who run a 3.25 with taller tires (E36).
                bump your redline to 333hp at 8000rpm and you won't have to shift so much?

;)

if you do the math, the ZF/3.46 is similar to a G260 and 4.10.

I want a 3.23, but I'm stuck with the 3.38.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by MacBudd541 View Post
                  I am running a zf with 3.46. I have driven it on long trips to the e30 picnic and other bbqs and such. It is not terrible on the freeway. This combo is flawless at the drag strip. I am right at the top of 4th gear at the finish.

I'm running 225/50r15 in the rear.

-Mac
                  What are your 1/4 mile times?
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I've done the 3.46 with a ZF and the G260. A quiet exhaust is key to making it tolerable. You want something along the lines of nando's recipe. I'm currently running two borla proxs mufflers, but I'll be trying a borla turbo xl (they have a 2-1 merge muffler) and a stainless works chambered muffler on the M3. The M3 will be keeping the stock 4.10, so I figure it's worth giving up a couple hp for a pleasant drive. :)
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

How does tire size play into this? When upsizing tire/wheels, you would typically try to keep the same overall diameter, so it shouldn't matter if it is fat tires on 15s or short tires on 17s, right?

I've been debating about which diff to go with for my ZF also and have been leaning towards the 3.46.

Comment

generally, yes, but it's difficult to find really fat tires that aren't slightly taller. But if your gearing is short anyway, that won't really matter.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          bump your redline to 333hp at 8000rpm and you won't have to shift so much?

;)
                          Haha, having extra revs will definitely help, but I will definitely try a 3.25.

Originally posted by E30Strube View Post
                          How does tire size play into this? When upsizing tire/wheels, you would typically try to keep the same overall diameter, so it shouldn't matter if it is fat tires on 15s or short tires on 17s, right?
                          Yep. I think you'll benefit from a 3.46, because most of the sticky 17s are 245/40R17, which is larger in overall diameter when compared to stock.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I think 3.38 would be the perfect choice for me since our driving roads are straight+boring, and my wheel size.
                            But Im also thinking in terms of what I can pull from the yard. 3.46's are pretty easy to find from e28's, but not so much automatic m3's.
                            -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              What are your 1/4 mile times?
                              13.06@107mph
                              1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                              2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                              2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Working...