Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got my s52 swap started..BUT......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got my s52 swap started..BUT......

Hey everyone. Im stumped on this one. Last night i got my swap started.. finally. It started up quite easily and idled fine. I let it run for about 30 seconds then turned it off.

Before i called it for the night, i tried to start her just to verify some cluster stuff, but no dice. the starter clicks but fails to turn over even once, like its stuck on something. The battery is good, its a 2 day old bosch, grounds never changed from the first start so i dont think its a grounding problem. Im also pretty sure that the starter is good. I had it tested by an alternator/starter rebuilder before install and he said it was fine.

Could it be the starter relay? TOnight im thinking that i should take the radiator off so that i can get a wrench to the main pulley to make sure the engine itself is not binding ( Flywheel etc.) but other than that i dont know what it could be.

Any suggestions on what i can test for and how to test it.

thanks in advance.

it has gas? :)
    sigpic

Comment

Maybe a ground loosened up? I wouldn't eliminate them as a problem.

Comment

make sure the battery terminals are. don't just make sure the bolt is tight wiggle the terminal and make sure its tight.
        Dave @ Bimmerbuddies
        Contact Bimmerbuddies for all your Parts and service needs
        M20,24V,5spdSwap,Weld,Fab,Tow,Buy/Sell/Trade
        Bimmerbuddies LLC
        717-388-1256
        2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057

*Ask about discounts for R3V members*

Comment

can you rotate the engine by hand?

Comment

Battery dead? You have to make sure the blue wire is hooked up in your harness for the alternator to charge.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Same thing happened to me........triple check all the power connections and grounds. A wire may be loose.

Comment

thanks for the responses guys. I double checked all the things people mentioned. Still the same.

Ok, so i manually turned the crank and a bunch of fuel came out of the exhaust manifold (i dont have an exhaust hooked up yet.) Now the engine turns fine with the starter.

It looks like fuel built up in one of the cylinders causing it to sieze. Should i be scared!!?? Tomorrow im going to check all the cylinders for spark. does anyone have a reccomended method for checking the coil vs the plugs etc.

thanks

Comment

So I found out that one injector was stuck open therefore was dumping fuel into the cylinder causing the motor too lock.

I got the injector unstuck so now it's running great.

Comment

How did you get the injector ” unstuck”

Comment

Diagnosis:
                      I pulled the rail out of the intake manifold (while still connected to fuel supply) then jumped the fuel pump relay to get fuel pumping. saw that one of the injectors was leaking fuel.

the fix:
                      I pulled the injector from the rail.then blew threw it to make sure it wasnt a grounding problem or ECU problem keeping it open. I was able to blow through it.

I then wired some leads from a battery keeping one lead constantly on one of the pins of the injector, using the other to touch and remove on the other pin. at first go, It make a really quiet "click". I then repeatedly took one lead on then off. As i did that the click became louder and louder.

I then tried to blow through the injector and i was not able to. Re installed it on the rail and again jumped the fuel pump relay and the injector held strong.

finished the full reassembly and she started right up and now has a "healthier" exhaust note.

This motor has been sitting for a good 3 months since i bought it, and who knows how long the PO had it out of his car. I think it was just gummed up with some old fuel.

Hope that helps.

Comment

thanks for the info, good to know t/s techniques.

Comment

so you just jumper the pins on the fuel injector with a battery to release it? you dont think the seal is leaking and causing fuel to leak past? why wouldnt you hook up exhaust? (oxygen sensors)

Comment

Originally posted by dsobering47 View Post
                            so you just jumper the pins on the fuel injector with a battery to release it? you dont think the seal is leaking and causing fuel to leak past? why wouldnt you hook up exhaust? (oxygen sensors)
                            Yes. Giving an injector +12 will open the valve to release fuel. I ruled out a bad injector valve by blowing through it while out of the car. It doesn't let air past. Plus the fact that the sound of the injector changed makes me believe it was just gummed up.

I dont have an exhaust hooked up because I need to figure out what I'm going to do about he headers. The obd1 headers I have are really close to the subframe so I'm considering eBay reps. But I want to gett it bar'd so I'm trying to go stock route.

Comment

Working...
                            X