Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slipping on fresh swap

So I have just swapped:

s52/m20 flywheel(resurfaced)/m20 sachs clutch&pressure plate(10k)/new m20 tob/new m20 slave cylinder.

I bled everything and the pedal feels great. I can shift just fine into all gears, and drive the car. But whenever I try to get on the gas in the higher rpm's, the clutch slips.

I am reusing the clutch&pp combo, and they worked great before the swap. I did use all new hardware for the flywheel and the pressure plate, and torqued everything to spec.

I've tried rebleeding the clutch a few times now, and it's not helping. I am thinking that my slave cylinder is not returning far enough? I have heard that people have problems with their slave not returning all the way, but I have a brand new unit.

Thanks for your time!

Does the input shaft seal leak on the transmission?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

no leaks

Comment

maybe you need a clutch upgrade since your running s52
        Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

How much did you resurface the flywheel? Did the resurface the outer lip as well?

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I did not resurface the outer lip. I'm not sure how much the machine shop took off, but they checked it for cracks and surfaced it to spec and said everything checked out.

The machine shop coated the flywheel in wd40 so it wouldn't rust. I cleaned it off with brake clean. Could it be that I didn't clean it well enough?

Comment

If they didnt resurface the outer lip then your Fed. Youve now opened the gap between your PP and flywheel so theyre not clamping enough.

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Hrrrmmmmm not what I wanted to hear! Oh well guess I'll drop the tranny and get the flywheel taken to a proper shop. It's still possible to machine just the outer part and have it be fine right?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

While I have it out...I have an s52 dual mass flywheel, should I just buy a new clutch kit and use that instead? s52 fly/clutch kit fit in the g260 right?

Comment

Just talked to the guy who machined my flywheel. He said that he did in fact machine the outer part, and made sure the contact surface was stepped up to spec.

Comment

Well thats the only thing that would cause that other than the clutch itself being bad.

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Was it broken in before you installed it?

Comment

Haha no it wasn't broken. Maybe the spring on the clutch fork is tired? Maybe the fork isn't sitting right?

Comment

Not "broken", but "Broken in" - was it used or a new assembly?
                            1987 Delphin 325e Sedan - Natalie
                            1990 325i 24v
                            1997 Chevrolet K1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - The Centurion

Comment

Haha I guess "broken" wouldn't have been great either :p

Only time I've had symptoms like that is on a brand new clutch that I pushed too hard off the bat! It went away after it had time to seat properly

Comment

Working...
                              X