S52 OBDII intake manifold to brake booster clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 OBDII intake manifold to brake booster clearance

Anyone here using the S52 OBD2 intake manifold? I'd like to know what the clearance is like to the brake booster. I'm thinking of keeping the original manifold for the increased low end torque factor.

Dont. Youll regret it. Although it might fit with the stock booster because its tiny... hrm.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
      Dont. Youll regret it. Although it might fit with the stock booster because its tiny... hrm.
      educate my please..... guessing you haven't driven a e30 w/ S52 OBDII intake by the reply. Just looking for some insight.

Comment

Driven plenty of E36's with the OBD2 Mani though.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Wait wait wait, the OBD2 intake might fit with the stock booster? For real?

maybe Ill throw a spare block and head into my jig e30..
          Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
          Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
          Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

i test fitted it once and it was veryyyy close. Like with the booster in the stock location

Check Us out on Facebook
            Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

I guess I need to find a OBDI manifold conversion car and drive it.

Does it really free up the top end power that much?

I'm running stock booster/relocated and it's very close to the OBDI manifold now but I never have any issue with it rubbing. Just curious since the OBDII is noticeably smaller.

Comment

You will need to move the stock brake booster over almost 1/2" just like with the OBDI intake manifold and even then I shaved the first two fins a bit for some added clearance.

Comment

interested to find out if the obd2 manifold will fit with stock booster in stock location as well

Comment

I did a test fit in my car before I decided to go with the obd1 manifold. The OBD2 mani isn't smaller in the dimension you need to save you from fiddling with the brake booster. I put it in without actually bolting it down but it looks like it is only shorter front-to-back and side-to-side it is just as wide.
                    Good luck

-Steven

Comment

Originally posted by aplinweiss_is View Post
                      I guess I need to find a OBDI manifold conversion car and drive it.

Does it really free up the top end power that much?

I'm running stock booster/relocated and it's very close to the OBDI manifold now but I never have any issue with it rubbing. Just curious since the OBDII is noticeably smaller.
                      is OBD1 manifold worth the bother on an OBD2 car?

honestly not for dedicated street/DD use. Did this on my e36M (s52) and I might have dropped lap times with the original manifold from corner exit torque. the rear end gearing of the S52 engine is shorter to keep it on the boil in the mid range where its power is.

Perhaps yes for street/HPDE car use, but honestly really only for cars that have a stack of slick rubber and race pads that get used often. A set of cams would make the manifold worthy of an upgrade but then your powerband will shift even higher.

OBD1 conversion is ugly, I've done it myself and prefer the entire OBD2 setup. Just bolt on a turbo

OBD1 manifold Its decent if you are wringing it out on the track but you better have 7,000 rpm rev limit to really benefit of it. S52 dme limits redline in 3/4/5 to 6430rpm.

the S52 dme is more advanced and modern and factory tuned for the S52 intake manifold. its more compact, also allows you to run the CCV valve clean and OEM style.
                      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Thanks for the insight wangan, I'm leaning more towards keeping OBDII mani. I like the idea of keeping the cyclone separator in tact.

Comment

Originally posted by aplinweiss_is View Post
                          Thanks for the insight wangan, I'm leaning more towards keeping OBDII mani. I like the idea of keeping the cyclone separator in tact.
                          You can use the OEM cyclone separator in tact on OBDI as well. Check out the kit offered at M50manifold.com

Comment

/\ yeah the has crossed my mind too. I like turnermotosports adapter plate too.

Comment

If you want to be fancy and have a cyclone that can handle boost fit the e39m cyclone valve.

The obd1 manifold fits the obd2 cyclone if you run a Eurosport adapter the cleanest. M50 manifold coupler kit is meager fitting in comparison

None fit as good and cost as little ($0 with your s52) as bmw Oem obd2 intake manifold. The Oem part also matches all the hoses, hard /soft lines and brackets.
                              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
                              X