Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

congrats. Now you can put long tubes on the bad boy
    95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
    Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
    LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by eandrade View Post
      Actually, not true. During the BAR engine change certification, the referee pressurized the gas tank and squeezed the line on the EVAP can. Also, I remember the smog technician doing this when I had my car (with the old M20) smogged 4 years ago.
      Actually, I'm positive it's true. My uncle runs a smog shop and I've done my fair share of smogging E30's. They can perform the test and charge you more for it sure but the E30 (and most BMW's) are exempt. I've had to tell the smog techs this as most of them don't know. I've smogged both M3's this year...no evap test. One shop knew it was exempt while the other didn't. The smog techs and computer also show the M3 as having a "check engine" light...which it doesn't. It took a while to get the books changed.

Me in 2008:
      Just came back from my uncle's shop and I asked them if BMW's were except, he searched the computer and found that all E30's (and perhaps most German cars) were exempt from the testing. Something about the charcoal canister not being easily accessible.

Schwartzman:
      Yeah it is the EVAP tester, effective Dec 1, 2007 not to be confused with just the cap pressure test... basically it is for pre 1996 cars (1976-1995) with OBD I to test for leaks between the gas tank and carbon canister. The cap test is different but you can fail because of that too... which is stupid. But some cars including our BMW's are exempt so don't worry, I will check tomorrow... due to the placement of the carbon canister and some of the EVAP equipment... more BS to try and get rid of older cars like the roadside sniffers & make more $$$ for the state.
      Last edited by reelizmpro; 01-01-2013, 11:44 PM.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

California Air Resources Board Exempt: Yes; CARB EO: D-269-28
        Last edited by P.Kelly; 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM.
        The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          Actually, I'm positive it's true. My uncle runs a smog shop and I've done my fair share of smogging E30's. They can perform the test and charge you more for it sure but the E30 (and most BMW's) are exempt. I've had to tell the smog techs this as most of them don't know. I've smogged both M3's this year...no evap test. One shop knew it was exempt while the other didn't. The smog techs and computer also show the M3 as having a "check engine" light...which it doesn't. It took a while to get the books changed.
          Thanks, that is good to know!! One less thing to worry about for the smog check...
          sigpic
          1990 325i

Comment

• BAR Referee did not ask for VIN of donor car. He did not look for the VIN sticker at the back of the cylinder head (it's pretty much inaccessible anyways) or the model number on the block.
            • I explicitly told him it was a motor from a '95 M3.
            • I'll post a photo of my engine bay in a subsequent post.

As for photos of the exhaust, these are the only photos I have:

Muffler by BrownGuacamole, on Flickr

Mid pipe by BrownGuacamole, on Flickr

X-pipe by BrownGuacamole, on Flickr
            Are those two resonators and 2 cats then muffler, right? Are those stock e36 cats?

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
              Are those two resonators and 2 cats then muffler, right? Are those stock e36 cats?
              Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just noticed your question and I hate leaving stuff unanswered.

1) No. It goes exhaust mani --> X pipe --> dual cats --> dual resonators --> muffler
              2) Yes, those are stock e36 (OBD-II) cats.

-Ernie
              sigpic
              1990 325i

Comment

Nice. Thanks. Doing some work on the e30 before it goes to get the BAR exam.

Comment

Ernie, what DME did you use? Was it actually for a 95 M3? I'm hearing that the Referee here in Sacramento wants a verifiable DME and not just any 413 red label will do...

Comment

Wow man, that blows. My ref didn't even look at my ECU. I honestly don't remember where mine came from, I believe it was from an E34 525i
                    sigpic
                    1990 325i

Comment

Wow man, that blows. My ref didn't even look at my ECU. I honestly don't remember where mine came from, I believe it was from an E34 525i
                      One more reason I'm going to come down your way when I have my swap done.

Comment

Working...
                      X