Obd2 s52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obd2 s52

Started working on my engine today for my OBD2 S52 swap into my e30, came across a few things I've not found clear information on (or am so overwhelmed with info I get lost in it)

I'm planning to retain the obd2 manifold and reflash the ecu to delete SAP, EWS, ACS (if it's part of that), tune the engine etc. I am confused about these few items

Updated, answers I've found are highlighted in bold text

1. Does the cyclone separator thing get deleted as well as part of SAP? Is this the CCV I keep reading about? Will be keeping this

2. My car obviously does not have the setup for the e36 FPR, what is everyone using to get a 3.5bar regulator in the return line? I just ordered a '97 528i fuel rail, it is a direct fit OBD2 design with the 3.5bar FPR on the rail like an OBD1 setup. Part number 13 53 1 436 468

3. Can the secondary throttle plate be removed to clean up the intake a bit? I will not need the cruise control or ASC so the whole linkage is useless. Seems easy enough, I will remove it tomorrow and order a Z3M non-ASC intake boot

4. By re-tapping the throttle heater hose port for the e30 temp sender what will I need to do to block off the return end of that hose? I couldn't quite see where it goes under the intake manifold yet, did not have a flashlight. Just found the answer to this, the big metal pipe under the intake has multiple ports, one of which will need to be welded

Leaky!

Annnnd messy.
    Last edited by Varinn; 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM.
    1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
    Started working on my engine today for my OBD2 S52 swap into my e30, came across a few things I've not found clear information on (or am so overwhelmed with info I get lost in it)

I'm planning to retain the obd2 manifold and reflash the ecu to delete SAP, EWS, ACS (if it's part of that), tune the engine etc. I am confused about these few items

1. Does the cyclone separator thing get deleted as well as part of SAP? No

Is this the CCV I keep reading about? Yes. Its a better setup than venting to atmosphere or running a catchcan.

2. My car obviously does not have the setup for the e36 FPR, what is everyone using to get a 3.5bar regulator in the return line? I planned to use the M/S52 remote FPR setup, can't say much else.

3. Can the secondary throttle plate be removed to clean up the intake a bit? I will not need the cruise control or ASC so the whole linkage is useless
    Yes, But you'd need to run a different intake boot such as: http://store.bimmerworld.com/non-asc...boot-p482.aspx
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, could you toss a little info my way on using the S52 FPR setup? A look at real oem shows it as being a 3 line unit instead of just an in/out. A little more google searching has turned up that there may be an option of using an early M52B28 obd2 fuel rail that will work with factory unmodified covers and retain a regulator on the rail setup

I'm totally ok with keeping the CCV so I'll be sure to keep that portion intact, I'll weld up the SAP pipes and consider that section finished.
      1990 332i, 4 door
      2008 KTM 990 Superduke
      2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

Found answers to my questions, updated first post
        1990 332i, 4 door
        2008 KTM 990 Superduke
        2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

Thanks for updating! The fuel rail question was bothering me.
          S52-Powered 1987
          sigpic

Comment

Not a problem, here's a photo of the fuel rail installed on the motor now that I've gotten things torn down and cleaned up. As you can see it fits pretty much perfectly, there are no issues with the cosmetic covers.

Also, the coolant temperature sensor on an "early" s52 still has all three ports drilled and tapped. One fits the engine temp sensor, and one fits the throttle body heater hose. The center hole is a perfect match to the e30 temp sender and comes from the factory with a plug threaded into it.

Lastly. Here's the motor cleaned up. I got lazy half way through painting things and decided I didn't really care to paint the timing covers, head etc. At least the block is done. Just did the usual things, water pump, thermostat, gaskets, sensors, CCV, hoses, plugs, coil boots, etc

1990 332i, 4 door
            2008 KTM 990 Superduke
            2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

Pass motor mount arm is on upside down ;)

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Doh.
                Last edited by Varinn; 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM.
                1990 332i, 4 door
                2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

I chuckled when Dave (328junkie) pointed out that the arm was upside down... until I went and looked at mine. Double d'oh!
                  S52-Powered 1987
                  sigpic

Comment

Bump, engine in the car but I'm curious about the throttle setup. Using stock obd2 throttle body and the ix booster mounted with the spacer installed I cannot seem to get the e34 throttle cable to mount in place. Do I have the wrong part or is tere some trick to this? The cable is too long in regards to the mounting setup and 90* bend. Sorry about the sideways pictures, I cannot rotate this on my phone

1990 332i, 4 door
                    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

what happened with your throttle cable issue?
                      sigpic

Comment

bump, did you get your throttle cable issue sorted? I am having the same problem
                        sigpic

Comment

shit sorry, I didnt see your earlier post and barely caught this one.

I went with the tried and true method and installed an m50 manifold with m50 throttle body. The design is significantly different and it bolted up much easier, but I do remember having to trim the "bushing" that mounts the linkage to the throttle body bracket to allow me to adjust it correctly.

Still using the e34 throttle cable without issues.
                          1990 332i, 4 door
                          2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                          2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

Thanks, yeah I was looking through your posts and it seems like you got the turner Motorsports kit?

Are there any issues with your brake booster hitting the cable still? I have the E32 booster with the spacer still installed (I read dimensionally the iX and E32 booster are the same). Please post a pic of this area if you can 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robgoesvroom View Post
                              (I read dimensionally the iX and E32 booster are the same)
                              FWIW that is true, I've had both.
                              For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                              Originally posted by mbonanni
                              I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
                              X