Early Chassis 24V swap wiring????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Chassis 24V swap wiring????

Working on an 02/87 325iS chassis and have not been able to find definitive info on a few things. Is there one thread out there that I am missing that has all the info?

Specifically looking for:
    - C104 wiring
    - tach wiring
    - oil level sensor wiring
    - unloader relay wiring

Any leads would be great, but I have a hard time believing there isnt a thread for this already?
    J. Farina

Yeah, thats me kicking up all that dirt!

check http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/BM...g%20Manual.pdf

c104 is behind the glovebox. tach wiring comes from the c104 as well. oil level sensor goes through the c101 (two wires, low and 'sufficient'), unloader relay is easily found in the ETM.

good luck!

Comment

I know where the c104 is. I just cant find definitive info on which wire from the e36 harness goes to which wire on the c104. I have seen nothing but confusing information.
      Looks like the oil level sensor has to be run as a complete separate circuit I believe bc I am not finding that plug on the e36 harness at all? May be looking in the wrong place.
      Unloader relay is also not cut and dry. The older c101 does not have a separate pin for the black w/ green wire that goes directly to the starter.
      J. Farina

Comment

Ask Dave markert. 328ijunkie on here. He specially makes and sells wiring harnesses for swaps but I'm sure if your determined to do it on your own he'd let you pick his brain on a few pins so you don't set your car on fire. Worth a shot but just understand he sells them so he may not be totally for revealing trickier aspects of it. But hey good luck. He is a nice guy regardless.

Comment

I would never blindly plug a harness in without full disclosure as to how it was wired. Did that once with my first swap with a treehouse adapter. Melted the whole harness and nearly caught on fire. Hopefully he understands that :) and will help. Thanks for the tip.
          J. Farina

Comment

go to BMW dealer:

Get diagrams for both engine and chassis.
            Or

find online in the ETK.

Make your own spreadsheet for wiring = DONE.

If you search hard enough you can find these and wire anything yourself.
            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 06-11-2013, 09:31 PM.
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Appreciated, but I have all the wiring diagrams.
              That doesnt mean I know what wire goes to what.
              They arent all called the same thing and it isnt cut and dry to me as to what is going on.
              Otherwise I wouldnt ask. Really just looking for that thread where I am sure someone has been through this before. At least to confirm my hunches before I turn the key :)
              J. Farina

Comment

bump... still looking for help here.
                J. Farina

Comment

Originally posted by JiXer View Post
                  Appreciated, but I have all the wiring diagrams.
                  That doesnt mean I know what wire goes to what.
                  They arent all called the same thing and it isnt cut and dry to me as to what is going on.
                  Otherwise I wouldnt ask. Really just looking for that thread where I am sure someone has been through this before. At least to confirm my hunches before I turn the key :)
                  I believe you did NOT READ my statement; or had difficulty comprehending the logic behind it.......

Make your own spreadsheet and figure it out yourself from the wiring diagrams.
                  Google has a free spreadsheet product that you can use
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                    I believe you did NOT READ my statement; or had difficulty comprehending the logic behind it.......

Make your own spreadsheet and figure it out yourself from the wiring diagrams.
                    Google has a free spreadsheet product that you can use

i think what we have here is the curious instance of 'please use your free time to tell me exactly what to do'

its not rocket surgery, man. you can do it. spend the time, then come to us with specific questions. i guarantee it'll be a more congenial atmosphere.

Comment

On the unloader realy.... is it safe to assume that You can splice the Blk/Grn wire that goes to the starter directly to the Blk/Ylw starter wire? the early 101 did not have a separate pin for Those two wires.

Also, it seems that there are 2 tach signals going through the x20 connector, Pin 14 which is Blk/Blu and Pin 20 which is solid black. I believe pin 14 is supposed to connect to c104 and from what I can tell, pin 20 must connect directly to the cluster, but I don't know why there are 2 wires that seem to serve the same function as the black wire on the c104 also goes to the cluster.

Can anyone confirm this?
                      J. Farina

Comment

this might help you

Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by JiXer View Post
                          On the unloader realy.... is it safe to assume that You can splice the Blk/Grn wire that goes to the starter directly to the Blk/Ylw starter wire? the early 101 did not have a separate pin for Those two wires.

Also, it seems that there are 2 tach signals going through the x20 connector, Pin 14 which is Blk/Blu and Pin 20 which is solid black. I believe pin 14 is supposed to connect to c104 and from what I can tell, pin 20 must connect directly to the cluster, but I don't know why there are 2 wires that seem to serve the same function as the black wire on the c104 also goes to the cluster.

Can anyone confirm this?
                          Pin 20 to C104 and pin 14 to the back of the cluster, iirc.
                          EDIT:
                          Also wondering about unloader relay wiring, haven't been able to find a definitive answer.
                          '86 325es M50

Comment

I have an S50 in my 10/86 build e30....and have the stuff below in my notes.

pin 24 goes to the white/yellow wire of the c104 (Econo Gauge)
                            pin 14 goes to the black wire of the c104 (Tach)

I don't have info for the unloader relay, doesn't go through my harness.

e36 harness does not have the oil level sensor plug/wiring, that's the e34.
                            '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

thats great news right there! I almost have all of my wiring figured out now. I have a E34 harness and plan on hooking up the oil temp to an external VDO gauge. thanks for helping
                              Last edited by 2mAn; 06-15-2013, 09:15 AM. Reason: brainfart
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                              X