Is the S50/S52 swap really worth it

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • animal
    replied
    Short answer, NO.

    Had good m42 318is, very low so lots of broken oil pans.. found a s52 with most the parts for a good deal and did the swap. From the moment I drove it, pretty disappointed with the power. My ap1 S2k was a lot more exciting, and my gas mileage went down, have trouble with the state ref and smog, and the balance of the car was not perfect like it use to be. Its getting close to being a perfect car, but with all the work done - kinda expected more. If you have a car w a bad motor, by all means the swap is a great combo - but if you have a good running e30, I'd say keep it running well and don't be so power hungry. Don't get me wrong, I love my car - but I also loved it when it was an m42. I could drive it 11/10 and have a blast - now the car can't really be driven that hard unless on a track because it is so much faster/wilder. Words I ilve by -driving a 110hp mk2 gti at 110% is a lot more fun than a 400hp car at 30%.

    If gonna go through the time of swapping a car again, its gonna be an lt1/ls1 into a 240z. Then ask if a swap is really worth it? HAha ya. Pull on ZR1 fast.

    Leave a comment:


  • matthugie
    replied
    It's a very fun car, but to be honest very few people take a good running M3 and part it to build an e30.

    My recommendation would be to find someone locally with a swapped car and take a ride or drive it if you can.

    Leave a comment:


  • scbmw017
    started a topic Is the S50/S52 swap really worth it

    Is the S50/S52 swap really worth it

    So I have been doing some research into possibly taking my 99 M3 and pulling out the motor, trans, driveshaft, rear-end, and all other related parts and swapping it into an e30. I miss my e30 and lost love for the M3.

    So my question is is the swap really worth it?
    How long did you keep the car after the swap?
    If you could do the swap again would you?

    Thank you in advance for your time
Working...