Is the S50/S52 swap really worth it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the S50/S52 swap really worth it

So I have been doing some research into possibly taking my 99 M3 and pulling out the motor, trans, driveshaft, rear-end, and all other related parts and swapping it into an e30. I miss my e30 and lost love for the M3.

So my question is is the swap really worth it?
    How long did you keep the car after the swap?
    If you could do the swap again would you?

Thank you in advance for your time

It's a very fun car, but to be honest very few people take a good running M3 and part it to build an e30.

My recommendation would be to find someone locally with a swapped car and take a ride or drive it if you can.
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Short answer, NO.

Had good m42 318is, very low so lots of broken oil pans.. found a s52 with most the parts for a good deal and did the swap. From the moment I drove it, pretty disappointed with the power. My ap1 S2k was a lot more exciting, and my gas mileage went down, have trouble with the state ref and smog, and the balance of the car was not perfect like it use to be. Its getting close to being a perfect car, but with all the work done - kinda expected more. If you have a car w a bad motor, by all means the swap is a great combo - but if you have a good running e30, I'd say keep it running well and don't be so power hungry. Don't get me wrong, I love my car - but I also loved it when it was an m42. I could drive it 11/10 and have a blast - now the car can't really be driven that hard unless on a track because it is so much faster/wilder. Words I ilve by -driving a 110hp mk2 gti at 110% is a lot more fun than a 400hp car at 30%.

If gonna go through the time of swapping a car again, its gonna be an lt1/ls1 into a 240z. Then ask if a swap is really worth it? HAha ya. Pull on ZR1 fast.
      91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
      ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Worth parting a running 99 m3? Probably not
        Worth getting a s5x from the junkyard/someone elses partout? Definitely.

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

Originally posted by scbmw017 View Post
          So I have been doing some research into possibly taking my 99 M3 and pulling out the motor, trans, driveshaft, rear-end, and all other related parts and swapping it into an e30. I miss my e30 and lost love for the M3.

So my question is is the swap really worth it?
          How long did you keep the car after the swap?
          If you could do the swap again would you?
          I totally understand you for lost love of E36 M3. It realy is not even the M3 that BMW wanted to export to USA, but it is all about making money. So they supped up the M52 engine just a bit and called 328is a M3. Only making 240hp same as 1995 Nissan maxima. And it is nothing impressive. An E30 with S52 swap is fun and the power is felt more and the car is quicker than e36 M3.
          But M20 is lazy dog, so any 24v is better.

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
            Short answer, NO.

Had good m42 318is, very low so lots of broken oil pans.. found a s52 with most the parts for a good deal and did the swap. From the moment I drove it, pretty disappointed with the power. My ap1 S2k was a lot more exciting, and my gas mileage went down, have trouble with the state ref and smog, and the balance of the car was not perfect like it use to be. Its getting close to being a perfect car, but with all the work done - kinda expected more. If you have a car w a bad motor, by all means the swap is a great combo - but if you have a good running e30, I'd say keep it running well and don't be so power hungry. Don't get me wrong, I love my car - but I also loved it when it was an m42. I could drive it 11/10 and have a blast - now the car can't really be driven that hard unless on a track because it is so much faster/wilder. Words I ilve by -driving a 110hp mk2 gti at 110% is a lot more fun than a 400hp car at 30%.

If gonna go through the time of swapping a car again, its gonna be an lt1/ls1 into a 240z. Then ask if a swap is really worth it? HAha ya. Pull on ZR1 fast.
            probably the reason I see so many swap cars turn up on craigslist shortly after the transplant

Comment

I have to disagree with this. I have driven and raced s2k, and my s52 swapped e30 is by far faster and more fun to drive. Also I get way better gas mileage with the s52 vs m20. It is all subjective though, and that's my opinion, but it seems to be shared by many people.

Short answer, NO.

IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                probably the reason I see so many swap cars turn up on craigslist shortly after the transplant
                My theory on all these random CL cars for sale is that these people weren't e30 guys to start with. They bought e30 bc they are popular, swapped in the engine for more power, realized a wrx/evo with bolt ons is faster, and want out of the e30 chassis. Notice how most of those CL cars are not owned by active enthusiasts? I have a feeling Animal falls into this category.
                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Short answer, NO.

how is an S52 powered E30 anything like a 400hp car? 240hp really isn't that much even in an E30. heck, even 400hp in an E30 isn't all that insane.

he's already got the motor and all the parts he needs for the swap (and then some). so most of the cost will be in acquiring a decent E30 shell. I don't see how it would NOT be worth it..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sell E36 M3 and buy a swapped car that has had the bugs ironed out already. If your E36 is clean you may even end up with a swapped E30 + cash
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Keep the M3 in one piece. If you do the swap, use an M54B30 for NA or an M52B28 if you want to go with boost.
                      1997 540i/6 - stock
                      1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                      1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

E36s are just parts cars anyway, put it out of its misery :) Somewhat kidding. If you can find a cleanly swapped E30 thats probably a better route. If you know the history of your E36 drivetrain and want to use that engine...why not. The car itself is probably worth the same as an unknown drivetrain from a junkyard. Use the motor and sell the shell.
                        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

My answer is absolutely yes!
                          I've been driving my s52 swapped vert over a year now and I love it! The balance of mine is not screwed up at all however the vert is heavier in the rear to begin with so...
                          My gas mileage improved even with my heavy feet on the accelerator and brake pedal and I love the extra power! I just bumped into a dude a few days ago with an e46 m3 vert. He was tasting me for a while and then we ended up next to each other at a red light. He thought we was gonna eat me alive... Didn't happen. I kept up with him easily I don't know if I was faster or not because a car turned in front of me so I had to slow down a bit and go behind him but even after that I was able to keep up and not lose ground.
                          If I had to do it again I would without a doubt! And s52 with tune and obd 1 intake manifold has more than 240hp. Some say even stock it's more.

Comment

I sold my e36 m3 to fund a swapped e30 build. Best decision ever!
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
                              I just bumped into a dude a few days ago with an e46 m3 vert. He was tasting me for a while and then we ended up next to each other at a red light. He thought we was gonna eat me alive...
                              Well then.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                              X