Missing items:
S2000 suspension and chassis
It makes a very big difference................
S52 in s2000 would be tits.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Is the S50/S52 swap really worth it
Collapse
X
-
i'm confident in the s52 because the power/weight works out to be a touch better than the honda s2000, which i am familiar with and believe to be a fast car.
the e30 will be rougher and have more torque and less tire, so it should feel even faster (note: emphasis on feel)Leave a comment:
-
I've read a number of times about how ungodly slow the m20 is. And maybe it's just the fact that I've never had a 400 hp car, but I think the m20 is quick (flamers gonna flame). Compared to most small 20+ year-old cars, the damn thing IS quick. It is my opinion, that the people who say it's a dog, either have never had a fresh m20 or have known many many more horsies than I. Whether the swap is worth it or not is relative to one's own situation. To me, it's not. But I'm gay for m20s.
DITTO! I heart my m20!Leave a comment:
-
A healthy m20 will dyno over 150rwhp. Its enough to pull quick laps if the car is setup properly
24v engine swap requires feeding a e36 to the e30 shell and also rejuggling the entire suspension/steering/braking system to suit; its fun when dialed in properly but very few R3VLimited cars are done up properly; too much time and money is involved.
The cost to re configure to similar to original suspension and handling was close to 2k....after the swap.
Cooling system/ Suspension system/tires/alignment all reworked. basically modding a full track car all over....again by replacing all the aftermarket parts setup for m20 with a setup to suit the 24v heavier/more powerful engine.
If you have tons of time and wish to start a never ending project then it's a great option; with the donor car being completely running its 2x the labor to extract and install; the car ended up faster for sure- at a high cost. 2:15 buttonwillow in traffic the first time out.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2Leave a comment:
-
At this point in time I would not swap if I had a 318is or 325is.
But I have a 318i 4-door which was never going to be at the level of "collector car" and I do love the all-around ability and power of the classic E30 and the relatively modern design of the S50. I actually can match the fuel economy I was seeing on the highway with the M42, but I trade a bit of snappiness by running ZF/2.93. I'm 2 years since the initial swap and although the project has had its ups and downs, I'm happy. Would I do it again... well I honestly would probably go straight to the S54 but you're in a good position to use the S52 and it has its advantages.
re: S2k... well BMW loves the McPherson strut and before considering balance, CG height, and other dynamics, straight away this is a disadvantage to the double-wishbone. but, totally different machine of course.
OP if you're nostalgic for a clean E30 and tired of your gutted E36 I would say do it.Last edited by butters; 08-06-2013, 10:55 AM.Leave a comment:
-
callin me out ehMy theory on all these random CL cars for sale is that these people weren't e30 guys to start with. They bought e30 bc they are popular, swapped in the engine for more power, realized a wrx/evo with bolt ons is faster, and want out of the e30 chassis. Notice how most of those CL cars are not owned by active enthusiasts? I have a feeling Animal falls into this category.
Ya I agree - def see some poorly swapped m50/52 e30's on cl in poor conditioned cars for the reason you stated.. and my basic bolton dsm is faster, old sti was hugely faster, but nowhere near fun to drive than my e30 (not to mention driving feel, style, quality etc).
no care to "prove my internet worth" as an e30 enthusiast - but no I've had many a e30's, own two now -and my opinion stands. Just because you don't agree doesn't make me a non active enthusiast - and justifies your assumption and your categorization. True - my e30 can womp an s2k w raw power, but excitement on a twisty road w similar quality suspension/tires - well maybe you've never owned one.. or many other quick cars because you're the self righteous, all knowing "active enthusiast."
way to point fingers make this forum/scene so amazingly cool.Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the information guys...Honestly my M3 is gutted and has race seats, cage, etc...it isn't the prettiest thing in the world so that is really why I was thinking about doing it. I should be able to sell off most of my parts to fund buying an e30 and the misc. parts needed to do the swap. I miss my e30 tremendously and the swap really wouldn't be about speed...it would be about reliability and the fact that when I pop the hood you see the s52 in there.
I have some more thinking to do but I am really leaning towards doing the swap. I really miss my e30.
Thanks for the info and keep it coming
With the engine in an already lightened chassis, you won't really reap the reward of power.
Besides, the E36 is a better handling chassis if you're interested in the steering wheel.
Having said that,for me, operating an E30 is a happier place to be than the heavier E36.
It is not about speed, I just prefer the overall dynamics of light cars.
mLeave a comment:
-
I've read a number of times about how ungodly slow the m20 is. And maybe it's just the fact that I've never had a 400 hp car, but I think the m20 is quick (flamers gonna flame). Compared to most small 20+ year-old cars, the damn thing IS quick. It is my opinion, that the people who say it's a dog, either have never had a fresh m20 or have known many many more horsies than I. Whether the swap is worth it or not is relative to one's own situation. To me, it's not. But I'm gay for m20s.Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the information guys...Honestly my M3 is gutted and has race seats, cage, etc...it isn't the prettiest thing in the world so that is really why I was thinking about doing it. I should be able to sell off most of my parts to fund buying an e30 and the misc. parts needed to do the swap. I miss my e30 tremendously and the swap really wouldn't be about speed...it would be about reliability and the fact that when I pop the hood you see the s52 in there.
I have some more thinking to do but I am really leaning towards doing the swap. I really miss my e30.
Thanks for the info and keep it comingLeave a comment:
-
-
Im in the same boat as the OP. I own a 318is and love the balance and fun of the m42. It's dog slow, but I can keep up in the corners just fine. My debate however is what next step to take. I have a 90% complete turbo kit for the 4 banger that would put it between 220-240hp and remain light and well balanced. I also have an s50/zf sitting ready to go in. I still cant decide lol!Leave a comment:
-
It's not about being faster than an evo/sti for me it was about that sound and reliability of the m5x/s5x engine family with significantly less mileage than my aging M20. I did not notice the handling balance going from M20 to S52.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: