My Budget S51.5 Swap. w000t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Budget S51.5 Swap. w000t

So this is gonna act as my swap thread. About a month ago I told the local yocals (iliad and e30bulldog here on the forum) that I could do a 24v swap for less than 500 bucks. I was sorta serious and sort of not because my car has run perfect for so long. Then my car started acting a fool because of the damn plug wires. Anyway I fixed it but in the process broke a starter. So I said wth I will go ahead with the swap. (there is no real logic there because my m20 only has 135k and runs great, but I figure i have to work on it to fix little headaches i might as well swap it for fun?!?//.)

So back to the 500 dollar thing. The plan all along was to collect everything from the junkyard to do the swap to minimize the cost. I am not actually super strict on that number but I want to keep it as damn close as possible. Usually when I get something in my head I move fast. So in last 10 days I have managed to collect the following:

Free- e34 m50nv oil pan, pickup, tube (this will work same as e34 m50v right?)

16$ - 94 325iC auto harness

Free - m50 manifold and throttle body

24$ - Red label 413

20$ - Porsche 944 booster

182$ - m52b28 with 130k miles out of an interior flooded 328iC with all accessories and all obd2 crap which I am dumping except the pink top injectors

Free - s50 cams (traded for a vert top that someone gave to me).

Free - s50 bavauto tune

Free - c101 from an 86 325e

Now in same week I also sold other swap parts I got off cars at the junkyard for a total intake of 110$.

Total expenditure so far is 132$.

There is some other miscellaneous stuff I know I am forgetting. We have lots of NOS parts at our shop too that will prob go on the car like intake manifold gaskets, knock sensors, etc. This kind of stuff adds up quickly so hopefully I can get most of that from the parts bins.

This leaves the rest of the budget for things that I know I will have to get.

G260 swap brace (but I might try to build one)
    Exhaust work (might try building this too)
    Oil Pan gasket
    The fittings to fab the a/c lines and crimping services
    machined flywheel
    valve cover gaskets and seals
    vanos rebuild
    coolant lines

And stuff I want to get

Big bore throttle body
    540 MAF
    Elbow for those

And probably some other stuff I am forgetting. But I think this is a decent list. Anyway I will keep up to date on progress hopefully. I have a shitload more time than money.

My first step is building this harness.

The new heart transplant....

Will the m50nv dual valve springs work in an m50 vanos head? I have tried searching this with no real luck so I am guessing it just means now. I do know that NV has 7mm valves and vanos has 6mm. Is that referring to the stem size?

Comment

Dude you can't just trade things you already have for parts and call that zero dollars. Yeah I had an M5 but I traded that for a supercharged S85, see it's possible to get it for free.

Comment

It does if i didnt pay for it right?

Not to mention I didnt get those free parts by traded stuff i bought. Specifically im sure your referring to cams. The top was given to me. As in no trade. In fact thats the only trade on the list. So yeah.

Comment

why the porsch booster? i mean i understand u got it cheap anyway but if ur doing budget swap why not just drill new holes and move stock booster over
          my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

Because it was 20 bucks. Id rather not drill my firewall. This allows me to pop a booster in with minimal downtime to rather than messing with taking everything out of the way to measure/cut new holes needed. I daily my car. Should have mentioned that. I am gonna try to have the swap 100% droppable innable in a weekend.

Comment

is 944 a good way to go? i wanted to avoid drilling my firewall too.. was gonna go with ix booster but havent got anything yet. im trying to gather all the parts i need to swap all at once as well
              my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

Well here is what I gather.

1. Porsche booster. Nearly identical in size and design to ix/735i booster. Uses stock e30 master. Clevis rod has to be threaded down and excess 1/2" or so cut off and use e30 clevis. Simple enough.

2. 735i booster. Bolts in. Must use 735i master. Master has bigger fitting sizes so it will require adapter for lines.

3. IX booster is same as 735i booster but uses an e30 master. The master is not interchangeable between the 735i and IX even though the booster is essentially the same.

I actually got a 735i master and booster the same day I got the porsche one. The masters at the junkyard I went to are more expensive than the boosters by like 2x. Anyway e30bulldog needed a booster for his swap so I sold him the 735i one.

**** That and I spent two hours in the footwell of that 944 getting the clevis pin unstuck. In fact i had to cut the clevis off with a dull ass hacksaw because the pin was rusted into the clevis. I need hacksaw blades. Anyway the porsche one is mine from it being so personal.

Comment

Whats S51.5?
                  Originally posted by Ferdinand
                  I carry a cheap pressure gauge in my glovebox with which to manually check my tire pressures, but I keep forgetting that in the USA glovebox space is sacred as it is reserved exclusively for the purpose of storing handguns.

DIVING BOARD DIVISION DIVISION IDIOT

Comment

^OBDI S50 tune/cams in OBDII M52B28 it looks like from the thread anyway.

SO, like an S50B28. But not.

Comment

I've been running a 735i booster and mc for 4 years now. No mods necessary.
                      Last edited by Wh33lhop; 03-28-2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post

exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                          I've been running a 735i booster and mc for 4 years now. No mods necessary.
                          Just looked into this further and the E32 master is not all that well suited to the E30 chassis due to more front-heavy bias, though it will hook up and work fine. The 325ix master would be preferable from a performance standpoint in this case though not completely necessary.
                          Last edited by Wh33lhop; 03-28-2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mistawall View Post
                            why the porsch booster? i mean i understand u got it cheap anyway but if ur doing budget swap why not just drill new holes and move stock booster over
                            Why the fuck do people do this. The Porsche one bolts right in and all you have to do is Make more threads. Relocating the stock booster is hack.
                            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post

I see. So mine would be a J51.75 B28
                              Originally posted by Ferdinand
                              I carry a cheap pressure gauge in my glovebox with which to manually check my tire pressures, but I keep forgetting that in the USA glovebox space is sacred as it is reserved exclusively for the purpose of storing handguns.

DIVING BOARD DIVISION DIVISION IDIOT

Comment

Working...
                              X