Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown head gasket or cracked head -- what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown head gasket or cracked head -- what now?

I believe a minor coolant leak has turned into a major problem for my S50.

Everything has gone downhill in the 400 short miles since my last oil change, as there is now a thick milky buildup on the oil cap.

I'm looking at a blown HG or cracked head...but will a leakdown test tell me which one it is, or is a pulling of the head followed by a proper pressure test required?

If there's a way to determine it's just the head gasket, I'd be thrilled to replace it. If it's a cracked head, I'm not sure I am interested in fixing this car!

Damn Sean, is there anything I could help with?

Stop by JMP and see if you can talk to Jerrick about this issue. I'm afraid you are looking at a blown headgsket though.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I have milky build up on my e36 and e30 with m50, its commi for trapped moisture to gather there. Its generally the highest point In motor.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I cracked head on m50, was to warped to fix, but generallly its 500-1000 to fix cracks. Id buy a new jead, thats what i did.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I'd just get a known good head then swap it out. When you did your swap did you replace the head gasket?
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by 2ean View Post
            I believe a minor coolant leak has turned into a major problem for my S50.

Everything has gone downhill in the 400 short miles since my last oil change, as there is now a thick milky buildup on the oil cap.

I'm looking at a blown HG or cracked head...but will a leakdown test tell me which one it is, or is a pulling of the head followed by a proper pressure test required?

If there's a way to determine it's just the head gasket, I'd be thrilled to replace it. If it's a cracked head, I'm not sure I am interested in fixing this car!

Leak it down: I had a blow HG between Cyl 4/5; 0 psi in both and pressure came out the exhaust side - leakdown will show air in coolant or oil if head is cracked

thought it was something worse but turned out not bad at all.
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
              Damn Sean, is there anything I could help with?

Stop by JMP and see if you can talk to Jerrick about this issue. I'm afraid you are looking at a blown headgsket though.
              Thanks for the support E. I'll definitely be in touch when I figure out what route I'm gonna take!
              Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
              I cracked head on m50, was to warped to fix, but generallly its 500-1000 to fix cracks. Id buy a new jead, thats what i did.
              Considering VAC sells refreshed heads for $900, it sounds like that might be the better option. Unfortunately I won't know if my head is good or bad until I send it out to a shop, which itself will cost $$!
              Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
              I'd just get a known good head then swap it out. When you did your swap did you replace the head gasket?
              Didn't touch the motor, as Chris Castro, who performed the swap, personally vouched for it. No real engine issues for the year and a quarter I've had it.
              Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
              Leak it down: I had a blow HG between Cyl 4/5; 0 psi in both and pressure came out the exhaust side - leakdown will show air in coolant or oil if head is cracked

thought it was something worse but turned out not bad at all.
              Will a leak down differentiate between cracked head and head gasket? I think I'll have to get in there and inspect it, no?

Comment

Where are you located? Sound like maybe cali? Take it to shant at bimmer heads and have him take care of you/refresh the head.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Working...
                X