Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Bar - Last ditch effort to pass OBD2

Hi guys,

I need some help. I completed a m52 swap months ago and am almost completely CA legal. The car is currently running awesome with no cel (post cat o2s are flashed, SAP is set to not ready and so is Evap -- basically 5 sensors all flashed out by Markert). I tried to bar it a week ago and failed because I had a M50 manifold, a cone filter with no Executive Order number. Also, they saw that SAP was present but not completely hooked up. Legally, pre 2000 cars get 2 not ready codes (which is what I have currently), but I am now feeling that I need to do this 100% legit or just give up and sell it since it's only 49 state legal (at least I'm assuming it is 49 state legal since all I am failing is visual and I can't imagine any place but CA to be this ridiculous).

Here's where I need help:

1. Have any of you successfully got SAP working? I've heard someone had tried and it resulted in a car fire due to it not being grounded properly.

2. Has anyone successfully plumbed and wired the OBD2 fuel pressure sensor? If so, how'd you do it?

My list to be legal; I need to (please speak into this if I am missing something):
    -Redo my wire harness to reinclude SAP, EVAP, post cat O2s
    -hook up SAP solenoid
    -plug in post cat O2s
    -get rid of my e30 charcoal canister and use the m52 trunk carbon canister (run it to the spare tire), including breather installation to rear wheel well
    -install/plumb fuel pressure sensor in the fuel tank
    -reconvert back to M52 manifold and fuel rail.
    -buy K&N 57-1000 intake filter cone with EO number

I have reached out to a couple of you guys and have been super encouraged by all the help, but right now I am stuck.

I realize that I can lie to the ref and convert down to OBD1 OR lie by hooking EVAP and SAP to look installed and stand on the gray area of the law that states I get 2 not readiness codes, but I don't feel right about it anymore. I would rather sleep well and sell my 49 state legal car than lie about it at this point even though I freak' love it. AND, just because I'm weird about the honesty thing doesn't mean I'm hating on any of you that have chosen to go this route to get your sticker--I just want to do it right or move on.

Oh, and I get that I was ignorant/arrogant to try doing OBD2 in CA for my first swap. So I agree with you all on that :)

Thanks in advance!!

Current Engine Bay:

It'd probably be easier to do an obd1 conversion. Considering you already have the manifold.

Although since your car is already in the system that might not be possible.
    My s52 is obd1 so sadly I don't have any advice

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it being in the system matters since it hasn't passed. In any event, I agree with you that it would be easier, I just don't feel right about it...

Comment

Call us in the morning and asked to talk to me tell Phil or Ian to pass the call through. I have some ideas as I mentioned in my last email to you. California is scary to work with from my point though as you'd imagine...

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Thanks 328ijunkie, mammoth_e30, and arch4ngle for the help. This whole project has made me feel pretty bipolar. Very hopeful and encouraged that I can finish this because of you guys!

Comment

Bummer, you were very ambitious to go OBD2 and you almost made it! Dont give up yet! Im getting close to taking mine in. Im nervous
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Bummer, you were very ambitious to go OBD2 and you almost made it! Dont give up yet! Im getting close to taking mine in. Im nervous

Thanks! Not giving up just yet...

You can do it! Did you get the CEL wired up yet?

Comment

I feel for you. This is why I am Setting the car up as obd1
                87 325i Coupe - Sold
                95 M3 Track rat - Sold
                87 325i Vert - Sold
                87 325is S52 swap - Sold
                99 M3 (Estoril) - Sold
                03 525i Touring - Current
                03 325i Touring (Mtech Conv) - Current
                88 325i Vert - Current

Comment

Originally posted by MrGreen View Post
                  Hi guys,

I need some help. I completed a m52 swap months ago and am almost completely CA legal. The car is currently running awesome with no cel (post cat o2s are flashed, SAP is set to not ready and so is Evap -- basically 5 sensors all flashed out by Markert). I tried to bar it a week ago and failed because I had a M50 manifold, a cone filter with no Executive Order number. Also, they saw that SAP was present but not completely hooked up. Legally, pre 2000 cars get 2 not ready codes (which is what I have currently), but I am now feeling that I need to do this 100% legit or just give up and sell it since it's only 49 state legal (at least I'm assuming it is 49 state legal since all I am failing is visual and I can't imagine any place but CA to be this ridiculous).

Here's where I need help:

1. Have any of you successfully got SAP working? I've heard someone had tried and it resulted in a car fire due to it not being grounded properly.

2. Has anyone successfully plumbed and wired the OBD2 fuel pressure sensor? If so, how'd you do it?

My list to be legal; I need to (please speak into this if I am missing something):
                  -Redo my wire harness to reinclude SAP, EVAP, post cat O2s
                  -hook up SAP solenoid
                  -plug in post cat O2s
                  -get rid of my e30 charcoal canister and use the m52 trunk carbon canister (run it to the spare tire), including breather installation to rear wheel well
                  -install/plumb fuel pressure sensor in the fuel tank
                  -reconvert back to M52 manifold and fuel rail.
                  -buy K&N 57-1000 intake filter cone with EO number

I have reached out to a couple of you guys and have been super encouraged by all the help, but right now I am stuck.

I realize that I can lie to the ref and convert down to OBD1 OR lie by hooking EVAP and SAP to look installed and stand on the gray area of the law that states I get 2 not readiness codes, but I don't feel right about it anymore. I would rather sleep well and sell my 49 state legal car than lie about it at this point even though I freak' love it. AND, just because I'm weird about the honesty thing doesn't mean I'm hating on any of you that have chosen to go this route to get your sticker--I just want to do it right or move on.

Oh, and I get that I was ignorant/arrogant to try doing OBD2 in CA for my first swap. So I agree with you all on that :)
                  For Best results with california OBD2 BAR you need to run a Stock DME;
                  if you want to pass 100% legit start with the most basic things.

make all visual components = E36M3 or 328
                  hook up the air pump and primary / secondary o2 sensors (4 total)
                  install matching emissions components to your engine and the 3/2 fuel pressure regulator of the OBD2 e36 as well.

its really simple; just install per BMW factory.

If you don't want to do things legit just lie and say its obd1; make it look OBD1 and put a OBD1 DME cover/sticker on your OBD2 computer.
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
                  X