The Mysteries of a Fuel Pump Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting the fuel pump relay code and not sure exactly what to rule out at the moment.

The car has an M50Tu but started out 318i. Car runs and drives "normally" Currently throwing out 3 codes which may all be related. 1. Evap (no purge valve, its in the mail) 2. Fuel Pump Relay 3. Vanos (I'm wondering if it's affected by the other two so it's last on my list)

So i have a few questions.

1. Is the e30 318i fuel pump enough to supply fuel for the bigger motor? Anyone else have that?

2. I pulled the Fuel Pump Relay out and applied direct current to it and it still clicks. Can it still be bad? How do I check further than that?

3. Is continuous running of a fuel pump a sign that it is going bad or is that something else?

Just to clarify. The car starts and drives (not a no start issue). If I pull the relay out there is no power to the fuel pump.

Thanks in advance.

I also have an 85 318i and with the key on the fuel pump runs continuously. Don't know if it's normal, but there is no "fuel pump priming" going on then turning off until you start the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Navarone View Post
      I also have an 85 318i and with the key on the fuel pump runs continuously. Don't know if it's normal, but there is no "fuel pump priming" going on then turning off until you start the car.
      Which the car runs so maybe it's not a huge deal but, i want to take it to the ref at some point so I'm trying to work out all the codes

Comment

Working...
      X