My e30 Will Not Get Hot Enough? M52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My e30 Will Not Get Hot Enough? M52

I can not get my temp to go over 86 celsius unless I allow the car to set at idle with the electric fan off. With that in mind, I am running a stock temperature thermostat (motor is from an e39), e30 pusher fan, e36 radiator, and an adjustable temp fan controller. I replaced the t-stat thinking that it was stuck open, but I was wrong. For reference, this is an OBD2 car, so I am pulling the temp data from INPA.

Is my temp sender off a few degrees? Do I need to get a cooler t-stat? Any other ideas?
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

You would want a warmer thermostat, not colder. You bought one rated at 88 Celsius? I believe that is the stock rating and what I run myself, I have not checked recently on INPA but when I get my motor back together I will check.

I never had an issue keeping temps down though, with an S52, 88c thermostat, e30 fan switch (91/99), mishimoto rad, no mech fan, and a 16" spal pusher up front I was able to drive for weeks before realizing my fan switch had stopped working. These motors are VERY good at avoiding high temps. I only noticed it rise above the mid point on the e30 gauge after sitting in traffic for 10-15 minutes with a 25 degree Celsius ambient temp.
    Last edited by Varinn; 10-29-2015, 10:54 AM.
    1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

What Tstat? 80 or 88?

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

My setup is a s52 with no mechanical fan. I have a new oem A/C pusher with 2 modified 10 in pullers on the radiator. 88c thermostat and a 80/88 temp switch.
        I recently installed a digital temp gauge and it reads 92 (right around the middle on the stock gauge). Sitting at a traffic light, it creeps up to 100c before the fans kick on. It never goes below 92. It always scares me when I get in traffic. I'm planning on getting a 80c stat.
        I suggest running a 80c thermostat with a 80/88 switch if you dont have a mechanical fan.

Are you sure that you have all of the air out of the system?
        PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X