HELP Attempting First Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP Attempting First Fire

So I got the M20 pulled and the s52 in this weekend, Im trying to start the car however when going to key on the fuel pump never kicks in. I have a brand new CPS and from what I read my ECU is getting power (the check engine light come on) this appears to be the two most common problem causing this per my searches. Is there a way to jump the fuel pump relay? Or what else could be causing this. Any additional checks I can do?
    I do have one question related to the CPS I read through the forum that I could use the M44 rear mounted CPS and thats what I went with.

Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated!

-Mike

You can jump the fuel pump relay by using a jumper wire to bridge Terminal 30 to Terminal 87. Be VERY certain that you are reading the relay correctly.

If your car has been sitting for a while, it's possible the fuel pump may have seized up.

When dealing with no-start problems, it's best to be as descriptive as possible.

What is the year and model of your E30? What does your wiring diagram look like? What ECU are you using, and has it been flashed.

The first start does take some cranking to get it to fire. The fuel pump probably has not turned on in quite a bit of time, so it takes a while to deliver fuel to the fuel rail in a sufficient quantity to have the engine fire up.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Thank you so much for the reply! I have an 89 325is with a s52 previously converted to ob1 with a 413 DME red label and turner chip. I was able to read the little diagram on the side of the relay an I jumped the fuel pump, it started pumping. It pumped up to the fuel rail you could hear the fuel come up. However it still never coughed or tried to start. For wiring I had an adapter made as electrical really isnt my thing.

Comment

To double check the ECU is getting power (even though the CEL is saying it is) listen for the IAC hum. If it does, then the ECU is definitely getting power.

If that is the case, and the plugs aren't firing, and the injectors aren't pulsing, then the CPS must be the issue.

Are you sure you have the correct crank in the block to trigger that sensor? Do you have the the sensor plugged into the right connector on the engine harness?

Comment

So at the risk of sounds like a dumb ass whats an IAC and where does it hum from haha. I double and triple checked with multiple sources for the CPS and it is plugged in. I am considering buying one of the front mounted ones just to put my CPS worries at ease.

In the case where the CPS is the problem would that cause the fuel up to not kick in? Even when its to prime in the key on position?

Comment

Can you show how you hooked up the power and ground cables on the passenger side of the car?

Just to clarify, you're getting the starter to crank the engine, but no fuel?

He's talking about the idle control valve, which is located underneath the intake manifold, essentially right underneath and to the rear of the throttle valve.

Comment

I pulled out the main battery cable in the harness that goes to the starter and fuse box Then used the existing e30 one. other wise everything remains untouched. I can check the ICV in the morning to listen for a hum.

But essentially you're right it cranks but no fuel pump, and even when i jumped the relay it didn't try to start. I drove the car to work on Friday so nothing should of went bad from sitting. Its been my DD work horse for the past coupe years.

Last edited by BritishMike; 12-21-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

That looks good to me. It's been a while since I've dealt with a swap, so my recollection of exactly how many powers and grounds there are in that area is a bit foggy.

It certainly sounds like your ECU isn't getting power for some reason, though.

Comment

Ive read a couple people complaining of grounding issues with ECU. The case itself isn't grounding at all correct? At the moment mines just hanging out in the foot well.

I haven listened for ICV hum but my CEL is coming on from what I read thats a tell that the ECU is alive and getting power.
                  Last edited by BritishMike; 12-22-2015, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishMike View Post
                    Ive read a couple people complaining of grounding issues with ECU. The case itself isn't grounding at all correct? At the moment mines just hanging out in the foot well.

I haven listened for ICV hum but my CEL is coming on from what I read thats a tell that the ECU is alive and getting power.
                    The ECU case doesn't needed to be grounded but is when it's mounted with the 318 bracket. It doesn't matter, contrary to popular belief.

OP, I know that you said the fuel pump isn't triggering but you could have two issues like I did. First was EWS (prob not your problem) BUT I also had the fuel lines reveresed lol! Keep that in mind...

Comment

These cars dont prime the enigine for startup, thats what the CPS is for.
                      Front mount cps's are triggered by the harmonic balancer spinning when the engine is cranking. This in turn tells the ECU (DME) to send fuel and spark to the engine. So if you jumped the terminals for the fuel pump relay you know that the wiring and the fuel pump are both in working order. The next you obviously need to check for is spark, not sure what the s52 coil packs resistance should be but you can find that online and check each's 1 & 2 terminals with an ohm reader. If those check out then your ignition coils are fine. This leaves a few other option such as; timing being out of wack im sure its fine though cause those engines are chain driven (unless some idiot tried to do the timing before you purchased the engine). Your main relay could be bad. This is what essentially powers your ECU. You can unplug it and plug it back in, once all of the pins on the relay touch the metal terminals you will hear it click. If it doesnt click its bad. Then the only other thing i can think of right now would be to check the resistance on your CPS. I know that on the M20 cps the resistance is supposed to be between 490-520 (or something like that). I bought a brand new one and it only lasted a week, they can be defective out of the box. I checked the resistance and it was reading 915, if its above or below the spec resistance the sensor is fried. Good luck, message me if you need more help.

Comment

So its not the CPS, not the main relay and ICV is humming in key on. Bout to check the coils. What ground should be attached in the engine bay? I have a strap from the chassis to the engine mount on the passenger side, the one located from the harness to the strut, I have strap on the coil on cylinder 6 and the one from the fuel rail to the lift point on the front of the engine. Am I missing any? The reason I ask is the the car isnt getting fuel.
                        Last edited by BritishMike; 12-24-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishMike View Post
                          So its not the CPS, not the main relay and ICV is humming in key on. Bout to check the coils. What ground should be attached in the engine bay? I have a strap from the chassis to the engine mount on the passenger side, the one located from the harness to the strut, I have strap on the coil on cylinder 6 and the one from the fuel rail to the lift point on the front of the engine. Am I missing any? The reason I ask is the the car isnt getting fuel.
                          That sounds like all of the grounds but one. I think the rear three coils are bridged to ground off #6 but the front three are bridged to ground off of #1 if I remember correctly.

It sounds like the DME isn't triggering the coils, fuel pump, or injectors. Do you have access to a red label 413 DME? To me that says CPS or DME.

Comment

I only have access to the one that came with the engine. If I can another get another ecu can I just move my chip over and it's plug and play?

Comment

Any way to test the ECU? Like I said I'm getting the cel and the icv is humming doesn't that mean my ecu is working?

Comment

Working...
                              X